Edible Images & Sprinkles

Baking By grumpyx07 Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 4:19am by icingimages

grumpyx07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grumpyx07 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 4

I'm trying edible images for the first time on cupcakes for my sister, kind of like these from Eleni's...

I've seen a lot of home bakers and bakeries do them, and I was just wondering how you would do it or if you have some tips/techniques that are better than others?

Do you use crusting buttercream? Dome or flat cupcakes? Apply icing with tip for spatula? Edible image directly on the icing or put on a fondant disc to get it completely flat at the top? Sprinkles before or after image is on?

Any help would be very much appreciated. So sorry if this has been discussed already, haven't been here in awhile. Thanks! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 4

I would use a disher like this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004UE65/?tag=cakecentral-20
to scoop a nice even mound of icing on each, then a spatula to level off the top. If you use a crusting buttercream, you could use the palm of your hand or a spatula or something to gently smoosh the top flat instead.

I would probably do the sprinkles before the image so I can easily pick off any stray ones that might get on the area where the image would go.

grumpyx07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grumpyx07 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you for the reply. I'm gonna try your advice, hopefully they'll come out just as nice. IF I wanted to try and edible image on a fondant disc any suggestions on how to get it to stick to the fondant? Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

icingimages Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icingimages Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 4:19am
post #4 of 4

You can use a mist of water on the fondant to make it stick

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%