Stacking/messy

Decorating By Rachie204 Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 3:04am by DeeDelightful

Rachie204 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 6

I am hoping for some advice....

every time I dowel my cakes and go to place the next tier on top it gets so messy. If I use my spatula to that I can easy my hand out the cake is tilted so much that the back icing and top of the tier underneath gets messed up and I have heard of leaving the dowels up some which I did last time and it worked well but I am using SPS for the first time on my next cake and i'm thinking that won't work with that system. Of course it's just the buttercream cakes i'm having issues with the fondant ones are fine....I am always able to fix it but usually my buttercream has already crusted so it's not a fun task to go back and try and smooth it again. Is this maybe because my icing is too thick?

Hope yall can understand what I am talking about...

5 replies
carmijok Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachie204

I am hoping for some advice....

every time I dowel my cakes and go to place the next tier on top it gets so messy. If I use my spatula to that I can easy my hand out the cake is tilted so much that the back icing and top of the tier underneath gets messed up and I have heard of leaving the dowels up some which I did last time and it worked well but I am using SPS for the first time on my next cake and i'm thinking that won't work with that system. Of course it's just the buttercream cakes i'm having issues with the fondant ones are fine....I am always able to fix it but usually my buttercream has already crusted so it's not a fun task to go back and try and smooth it again. Is this maybe because my icing is too thick?

Hope yall can understand what I am talking about...

If you work with COLD buttercream it will be a lot less messy--that is if your BC gets hard when it gets cold. Not just crusted...solid. I use real butter.

DeeDelightful Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:14pm
post #3 of 6

stick the dowels in, but not all the way. Leave them sticking up and drop your next tier on top, allowing the weight of it to push the dowels down. Learned that trick on Sugarshack's successful stacking DVD. If the tier is not quite heavy enough, you can press it down a little.

CWR41 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDelightful

stick the dowels in, but not all the way. Leave them sticking up and drop your next tier on top, allowing the weight of it to push the dowels down. Learned that trick on Sugarshack's successful stacking DVD. If the tier is not quite heavy enough, you can press it down a little.

She said this worked well the last time, but she's using the SPS this time instead of dowels.

IndyDebi posted progression photos for stacking (don't know if you've seen it, but it might be helpful to see... especially since she took the time to snap the photos and post it).

I'll bet the damage you are describing is so minimal that nobody but yourself would notice anyway. If you get a tiny dent or fingerprint during stacking, surely you could hide it with a border or cover it up with a flower when you are decorating. Are you sure you aren't being too hard on yourself or striving for perfection? I hope it works well for you this time.

poohsmomma Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 6

I used SPS for the first time this weekend. When I set my top tier on, it never even touched the bottom tier. I even had to pick it up and adjust it a little, and still no mess. I'm a definite believer in SPS, not only for support, but for ease of stacking.

DeeDelightful Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 3:04am
post #6 of 6

Oops. Didn't read the whole post before I answered. Sorry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%