Covering 4 X 4 Mini Cakes

Decorating By tatita73 Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 12:46am by MichaelTV

tatita73 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 14

I just received a (25) 4x4 mini cake order with a Hollywood theme. How should I cover them? icon_confused.gif

13 replies
LindaF144a Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 14

Do you mean you want to know if you should cover them with fondant or buttercream or ganache? I'm not too sure I am understanding what you are asking about.

Or are you asking about decorations?

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:07am
post #3 of 14

I did mini cakes for a birthday. I had 9 of them to do. I covered them all in fondant.

momdalejr Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:16am
post #4 of 14

michaeltv..what is heated buttercream??

tatita73 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:44am
post #5 of 14

Yes, MichaelTV. I wanted to know alternatives to cover these mini cakes. I made a test run with fondant and I am having trouble with the bottom corners. CAn you explain the heating buttercream?

AngelinaMomof3 have any tips on how can I work with the corners of these small cakes.

And also, can dry fondant help me cover the cakes? and if yes, how can I do it?

awatterson Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:55am
post #6 of 14

what about pourable fondant?

tatita73 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:04am
post #7 of 14

Can I make pourable fondant with dry fondant? or is it something totally different?

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:18am
post #9 of 14

I didn't have any issues with the corners of mine. I will say when I iced them I didn't go all the way to the bottom of the cake. I left a bit of cake, like a 1/4 inch without icing all the way around the bottom so that when I smoothed the fondant out it didn't squish out the bottom. I rolled my fondant out thinner than I would a large cake also so that I didn't have a bunch of fondant on the corners.

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:19am
post #10 of 14

Part of the reason I probably didn't have too big of an issue is cause my pan that I bought was for mini loaves. I couldn't find a square pan that had multiple squares in it.

I do think rolling the fondant out thinner helped though. I wish I could help you more ~icon_sad.gif

bchumley Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:13am
post #11 of 14

along the same lines as pourable fondant, have you considered ganache?

tatita73 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:12pm
post #12 of 14

I have never used ganache. But is seems to have a very soft finish to it. Can you put gum paste cut outs on it or a ribbon? It seems so smooth and delicate, I would think that nothing would hold, but then again I have not worked with it.

bchumley Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 11:50pm
post #13 of 14

nearly anything that can be attached to fondant can also be attached to ganache -- just use a dab of melted chocolate to secure it to the completely dried ganache.

it doesn't have to be so delicate; just increase your chocolate:cream ratio to get a thicker/sturdier coat. i've used it for petits fours and small loaf cakes for years with no problems (just watch out for hot temperatures...that'll get ya every time...)

MichaelTV Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:46am
post #14 of 14

you can heat an icing of a thicker consistancy so that you can pour it over the cakes. similar to a quick pour fondant technique but you will have thicker more lush coating and it will be very smooth as well

Quote by @%username% on %date%