Covering 4 X 4 Mini Cakes

Decorating By tatita73 Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 12:46am by MichaelTV

tatita73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatita73 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:27pm
post #1 of 14

I just received a (25) 4x4 mini cake order with a Hollywood theme. How should I cover them? icon_confused.gif

13 replies
LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 14

Do you mean you want to know if you should cover them with fondant or buttercream or ganache? I'm not too sure I am understanding what you are asking about.

Or are you asking about decorations?

AngelinaMomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelinaMomof3 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:07am
post #3 of 14

I did mini cakes for a birthday. I had 9 of them to do. I covered them all in fondant.

momdalejr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momdalejr Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:16am
post #4 of 14

michaeltv..what is heated buttercream??

tatita73 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:44am
post #5 of 14

Yes, MichaelTV. I wanted to know alternatives to cover these mini cakes. I made a test run with fondant and I am having trouble with the bottom corners. CAn you explain the heating buttercream?

AngelinaMomof3 have any tips on how can I work with the corners of these small cakes.

And also, can dry fondant help me cover the cakes? and if yes, how can I do it?

Thanks

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awatterson Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:55am
post #6 of 14

what about pourable fondant?

tatita73 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:04am
post #7 of 14

Can I make pourable fondant with dry fondant? or is it something totally different?

awatterson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelinaMomof3 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:18am
post #9 of 14

I didn't have any issues with the corners of mine. I will say when I iced them I didn't go all the way to the bottom of the cake. I left a bit of cake, like a 1/4 inch without icing all the way around the bottom so that when I smoothed the fondant out it didn't squish out the bottom. I rolled my fondant out thinner than I would a large cake also so that I didn't have a bunch of fondant on the corners.

AngelinaMomof3 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 1:19am
post #10 of 14

Part of the reason I probably didn't have too big of an issue is cause my pan that I bought was for mini loaves. I couldn't find a square pan that had multiple squares in it.

I do think rolling the fondant out thinner helped though. I wish I could help you more ~icon_sad.gif

bchumley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bchumley Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 6:13am
post #11 of 14

along the same lines as pourable fondant, have you considered ganache?

tatita73 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:12pm
post #12 of 14

I have never used ganache. But is seems to have a very soft finish to it. Can you put gum paste cut outs on it or a ribbon? It seems so smooth and delicate, I would think that nothing would hold, but then again I have not worked with it.

bchumley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bchumley Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 11:50pm
post #13 of 14

nearly anything that can be attached to fondant can also be attached to ganache -- just use a dab of melted chocolate to secure it to the completely dried ganache.

it doesn't have to be so delicate; just increase your chocolate:cream ratio to get a thicker/sturdier coat. i've used it for petits fours and small loaf cakes for years with no problems (just watch out for hot temperatures...that'll get ya every time...)

MichaelTV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichaelTV Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 12:46am
post #14 of 14

you can heat an icing of a thicker consistancy so that you can pour it over the cakes. similar to a quick pour fondant technique but you will have thicker more lush coating and it will be very smooth as well

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%