Cupcake Wars

Lounge By lisamaria Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 4:17pm by lisamaria

lisamaria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamaria Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 11

Do you guys watch this show on the Food Network? I like it, but man, those judges are brutal! I would be scared to go on it. lol I can't understand one word that French judge says! lol

10 replies
Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:25pm
post #2 of 11

I think it's rigged, there's no way can you make a 1000 cupcakes in just 2 hours!!! icon_eek.gif
And before anyone jumps on me........I mean make about 4 different batters, line all the pans, dish out all the cupcakes, bake each batch for at least 15 minutes, wait for the ovens, wait for them to cool down, make all the butter cream flavors, fill all the pastry bags, frost all the cupcakes, make all the different decorations, and then have the stand made too! PHEW!
It just doesn't add up! And once I saw one of the contestant pull out fondant decorations already made out of a ziplock baggie.....hmmm?
I think it's too much for it all to be finished in JUST 2 HOURS!!! icon_confused.gif
And I know this from experience! having worked at a very, very busy cupcake place here in New York.

lisamaria Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 11

I know! NOT to mention, then IN THAT same two hours they have to put them on the display too! And half the time, it doesn't even look like 1,000 cupcakes. icon_surprised.gif

CrumblesConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CrumblesConfections Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:41pm
post #4 of 11

Ok, I thought I was the only one who felt this way. I didn't say anything because I didn't wanna be seen as a negative nancy, but I just don't see it happening in 2 hours. Some of those cupcake stands look like they could take days to complete! Maybe I'm wrong, but it does seem staged to me too. But I still watch it because it's entertaining. icon_biggrin.gif

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:55pm
post #5 of 11

I watched one the other day where they painted the plywood cupcake stand after they built it. There's no way paint would be dry enough to put cupcakes on.

Rachel5370 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel5370 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:59pm
post #6 of 11

I think it's possible if you have 6 people working on it, and they are experienced. I did some high volume baking for a catering company and with the big ovens and mixers- I could see that happening. I am sure the decorations are made up ahead of time though- like you guys said. There is probably some behind the scenes prep work going on that we don't see. I think it is filmed over the course of two days, and the final two contestants probably get to prep some things ahead- just my guess. Also, the oven they show is just a single- all of the cupcakes would have to be baked in the first hour if they were to cool on time to ice them. There has to be some other ovens somewhere or pre-baked cupcakes because I don't think there would be time to bake them all in one oven. Say there are 5 racks and the pans hold 24 cupcakes each- one pan per rack- with 10-15 minutes of baking time each oven load- the math doesn't add up. But's it's still entertaining, and I still watch! And I would totally go on that show if I had the opportunity! Those judges don't scare me after some of the chefs I have worked with! lol icon_biggrin.gif

Pallison Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pallison Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 11

I watch the show and enjoy it....they sure do get a lot done in 2 hours...!!! I've noticed that the display at the actual event is sometimes a little different, a little better...I guess they gussy it up for the event.....
What irritates me just a bit is when the best tasting cupcakes of the first 2 rounds loses to cupcakes that weren't particularly liked by the judges because of the display....seems to me you would want the best tasting cupcakes....??? But what do I know...!!!
Did you see the episode where the woman made tobacco cupcakes and topped them with a little fondant cigarette...?? It was the one Duff, the
Ace of Cakes guy, was the guest judge...he said they tasted like cigarettes but since he didn't smoke he didn't care for them...why would you put real tobacco in a cupcake...??? Weird.....

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:46pm
post #8 of 11

There are 2 other threads on this also, I think most people feel the same way.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-684343-cupcakes.html+wars

WAdora66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WAdora66 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 11

The show is interesting and I get some good ideas on combinations, but I don't like the judges. Can't understand the guy, the gal's mouth bugs me, and I don't like the host. That's probably too many negatives. I wish they would have a link for some of the recipes they come up with.

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:22am
post #10 of 11

I love this show to get ideas for decorating and flavors. But the host reminds me of the evil host Chris from Total Drama Island!

lisamaria Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:17pm
post #11 of 11

Sorry for the repeat post! I am new to the board and I posted it in the wrong place at first. It was just moved here so that explains why there are other threads on it.

I, too, do NOT like the host either. He's annoying. He's always hollering out those dumb comments to them about the time left, etc.

I saw the tobacco episode!! I was REPULSED at the idea of putting tobacco in a cupcake!! EWWW!!!

Also, I wrote to Food Network and complained about the way all the bakers bake with their hair down and some of them have long bushy hair!! That is a pet peeve of mine. I am so conscious when I bake. I always put my hair up and way from my face. Then again, ALL of the female cooks on that site cook with their hair down. I find it appalling! icon_surprised.gificon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%