Storing Gumpaste Flowers...

Decorating By LuluSweetArt Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 9:29pm by tracycakes

LuluSweetArt Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all...
I am gearing up to start making flowers for my OSSAS entry this year and with two boys under the age of 3, a husband who is deployed, and a full docket of upcoming cakes, I figured I would get started early. I have almost 500 assorted flowers and leaves to make and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for storing the flowers after they had dried. Is it better to store in cardboard or plastic? Would it be preferable to wrap with tissue paper or thin foam? Do I need to buy silica gel to make sure they stay dry? I live in San Diego and I have never had to store my flowers for any extended amount of time before. Thank you for all your help!

6 replies
emrldsky Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluSweetArt

Hi all...
I am gearing up to start making flowers for my OSSAS entry this year and with two boys under the age of 3, a husband who is deployed, and a full docket of upcoming cakes, I figured I would get started early. I have almost 500 assorted flowers and leaves to make and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for storing the flowers after they had dried. Is it better to store in cardboard or plastic? Would it be preferable to wrap with tissue paper or thin foam? Do I need to buy silica gel to make sure they stay dry? I live in San Diego and I have never had to store my flowers for any extended amount of time before. Thank you for all your help!

I live in Indiana, and I have gumpaste Daisies in my house that are at least 3 years old (they were my first gumpate flowers, so I wanted to keep them). icon_smile.gif

I just keep them in a small cake box with tissue around them to prevent breakage. Humidity is always around in the warmer months here, but I haven't seen any issues with those flowers.

TexasSugar Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 7

I would keep them in cardboard or out in the open myself. You really wouldn't have to wrap them with anything. But if you wanted to give them a cushion, then tissue paper or paper towels will work.

Just make sure what you store them in is out of the kids reach and not in a place it can accidently get knocked off.

LuluSweetArt Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks again for the tips!

carmijok Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 7

Do what the others have said...but also making sure they are out of direct light. If you are doing dark colors you might look into using Crystal Colors...I read a post on here that it's a really good colorant to use for non-fading. Here's the post:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=687656&sid=77554f0f989282192b3fbb58e33a246d

Rosie2 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:22pm
post #6 of 7

Great info, thank you!

tracycakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:29pm
post #7 of 7

I stick the flower stems in styrofoam and put them either is a cardboard cake box or plastic bins with desiccant in them and keep them out of light. They last forever...well, almost.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%