Can I Buy These?

Decorating By whimsy_chick Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 1:13pm by whimsy_chick

whimsy_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whimsy_chick Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:07pm
post #1 of 7

Hi! Can someone tell me if it is possible to buy frosting letters I can lay right on a cake? I'm sure I could make them as a FBCT, but I'd rather just pre-purchase and make my life easier. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance!

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 7

Sure you can. They're available at the grocery store, or you can google it for a supplier in your area that carries something like this:
http://www.shopbakersnook.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=576

(blocked = s h o p b a k e r s n o o k)

whimsy_chick Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Sure you can. They're available at the grocery store, or you can google it for a supplier in your area that carries something like this:
http://www./m5_view_item.html?m5:item=576

(blocked = s h o p b a k e r s n o o k)

Thanks CWR41. icon_biggrin.gif I should have been more clear in my original post. (My apologies.) Ideally, I would like the letters to look like I piped them myself- not the raised sugar ones that you can lay on the cake.

This is a grad cake for my sister and I want it to look more elegant than those ones can provide. I'm horrible at piping letters and such, which is why I askled. icon_lol.gif

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by whimsy_chick

Ideally, I would like the letters to look like I piped them myself- not the raised sugar ones that you can lay on the cake.

This is a grad cake for my sister and I want it to look more elegant than those ones can provide. I'm horrible at piping letters and such, which is why I askled. icon_lol.gif

Have you googled it yet? The first image that appears on a google search for "edible lettering for cakes" shows this:
http://www.cakebliss.com.au/accessories.php
so I guess you can purchase them. I would hope they aren't too delicate to break during shipping.

Not sure what look you're going for (could use tappits, stencils, cutouts), but if you really want them to look like you piped them, go for it! Just practice a bit first... you can do it! If you aren't comfortable piping directly on the cake, you could try your lettering on a plaque to add to the cake or board... just a thought. By "more elegant", do you mean something like script, handwriting, or what??? If you can describe more, I'll try to offer more suggestions if I can help.

whimsy_chick Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by whimsy_chick

Ideally, I would like the letters to look like I piped them myself- not the raised sugar ones that you can lay on the cake.

Have you googled it yet? The first image that appears on a google search for "edible lettering for cakes" shows this:
http://www.cakebliss.com.au/accessories.php
so I guess you can purchase them. I would hope they aren't too delicate to break during shipping.

Not sure what look you're going for (could use tappits, stencils, cutouts), but if you really want them to look like you piped them, go for it! Just practice a bit first... you can do it! If you aren't comfortable piping directly on the cake, you could try your lettering on a plaque to add to the cake or board... just a thought. By "more elegant", do you mean something like script, handwriting, or what??? If you can describe more, I'll try to offer more suggestions if I can help.

Oh good idea! I never thought about stenciling it out and filling it in. I did want it to look piped but my piping is horrendous- really. I know I need to suck it up and just practice. I'm using someone elses design I found online, but figured it would be easy enough for my amateur self to replicate. icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the link as well. You all are so helpful and I truly appreciate it. icon_smile.gif The cake looks simple, right? I just am a novice, but my sis asked me to make it, so...
LL

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 7

Filling in a stenciled area might be a lot more difficult than what is shown in the photo. I think tappits were probably used... press to indent, and pipe over the impression. Cute cake. I think you'll do fine!

whimsy_chick Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited

Filling in a stenciled area might be a lot more difficult than what is shown in the photo. I think tappits were probably used... press to indent, and pipe over the impression. Cute cake. I think you'll do fine!

Ok- dumb question alert- Once you have your gumpaste letters ready, how do you adhere them to the cake? I was reading that w/ Florida heat and humidity it would be easier to use gumpaste. Can I buy pre-made gumpaste at Michael's?? I think I have seen it there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%