Outlining Circles With Royal Icing

Baking By ElissaB Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 7:37pm by DianeLM

ElissaB Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 7

I'm still having tons of difficulty outlining a perfect circle onto my sugar cookies with royal icing. Does any one have any advice on the right consistency for this, the correct tip #, and whether tracing a cookie cutter would solve the problem?

Thanks so much!

6 replies
gingerbreadtogo Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:41pm
post #2 of 7

I also have trouble drawing perfect circles on cookies. I usually just need the round cookie covered, so I can decorate on top of that, I just dip the cookie in royal icing and use my finger to wipe the edge. It covers the cookie well and after decorating I usually but a border around the edge of cookie. Good Luck!

DianeLM Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 7

Are you sure your cookies are perfectly round? You may be tracing around them correctly, but if they've lost their shape during baking, your outline won't be perfect.

The best solution, IMO, is to cover the cookies with fondant. Just cut it out with your circle cutter and plop it onto your cookie. Now, if you want to outline the fondant with a circle of royal icing, my best suggestion is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. icon_smile.gif

carrywilsonhome Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 7

Put a round cutter that is slightly smaller than the cookie on top of the cookie, pipe around the outside of the cutter, let set for a little bit, and lift off the round cutter.

DianeLM Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrywilsonhome

Put a round cutter that is slightly smaller than the cookie on top of the cookie, pipe around the outside of the cutter, let set for a little bit, and lift off the round cutter.

Have you tried this technique? Reason I ask is, it sounds difficult. I don't know about your cutters, but mine are at least 2 inches deep. I like to have my hand pretty close to the surface when I'm piping. I know I'd be bumping and knocking that cutter all over the place.

Maybe another idea would be to dip the cutter in water or piping gel and use it to 'stamp' the circle onto the cookie.

carrywilsonhome Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 7

I sure have. Works like a charm. I don't use huge piping bags either, so maybe that's why it easier for me.

DianeLM Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 7

Well, as a general rule, I'm a klutz. I have to do my part to look after my sisters in klutzdom. icon_smile.gif Thanks for the info!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%