Fondant Flattening

Decorating By barefootsdesign Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 10:08pm by sugarshack

barefootsdesign Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 7

K I made my first fondant animals this weekend for my first customer cake. Problem I had was that ever time I made my dogs before the mmf would dry it would start to flatten and widen out. I had to make them five times and still didn't get them to stay right. Anyone know what I was doing wrong? They would fltten out in less than 10mins so not sure what was wrong with my fondant. Any help is greatly appreciated cause I have more animals to do for a cake this weekend. Thanks in advance. will post pics of cake for reference even though they look bad..lol. not to mention my fondant cracked when covering cake.

6 replies
cheatize Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 7

I have laid my fondant work in a bed of flour to keep them rounded. You can also use cornstarch. If you're concerned about it getting on the fondant, you can put the flour in a baggie first. Otherwise, just put it on a cookie sheet and put your fondant work on it.

snocilla Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 7

I used to have this problem too! Knead more powdered sugar into your fondant to make it a bit stiffer, or use half gumpaste.

Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 7

The easiest way to make fondant figures keep their shape is to use gumpaste instead. You still need to prop it while it dries, and adding a toothpick or dry spaghetti noodle for support doesn't hurt at all. It dries faster and holds its shape a lot better while drying.

Fondant cracking on the cake is a different issue though. What kind were you using and what did you use to roll it out (crisco, cornstarch, etc)?

barefootsdesign Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 7

I was using wilton fondant on the cake and used crisco to roll it out. The dogs and paws I used MMF.

catlharper Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 7

When making figures I use half gumpaste and half fondant. This is so it gives me time to mold but dries quickly after.

sugarshack Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 7

adding tylose will stop that too

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%