Fondant Flattening

Decorating By barefootsdesign Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 10:08pm by sugarshack

barefootsdesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barefootsdesign Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 7

K I made my first fondant animals this weekend for my first customer cake. Problem I had was that ever time I made my dogs before the mmf would dry it would start to flatten and widen out. I had to make them five times and still didn't get them to stay right. Anyone know what I was doing wrong? They would fltten out in less than 10mins so not sure what was wrong with my fondant. Any help is greatly appreciated cause I have more animals to do for a cake this weekend. Thanks in advance. will post pics of cake for reference even though they look bad..lol. not to mention my fondant cracked when covering cake.

6 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 7

I have laid my fondant work in a bed of flour to keep them rounded. You can also use cornstarch. If you're concerned about it getting on the fondant, you can put the flour in a baggie first. Otherwise, just put it on a cookie sheet and put your fondant work on it.

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 7

I used to have this problem too! Knead more powdered sugar into your fondant to make it a bit stiffer, or use half gumpaste.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 7

The easiest way to make fondant figures keep their shape is to use gumpaste instead. You still need to prop it while it dries, and adding a toothpick or dry spaghetti noodle for support doesn't hurt at all. It dries faster and holds its shape a lot better while drying.

Fondant cracking on the cake is a different issue though. What kind were you using and what did you use to roll it out (crisco, cornstarch, etc)?

barefootsdesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barefootsdesign Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:49pm
post #5 of 7

I was using wilton fondant on the cake and used crisco to roll it out. The dogs and paws I used MMF.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 7

When making figures I use half gumpaste and half fondant. This is so it gives me time to mold but dries quickly after.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:08pm
post #7 of 7

adding tylose will stop that too

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%