Keep Purple From Fading??

Decorating By gourmetsharon Updated 12 Aug 2010 , 6:12pm by cdgleason

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 9

I saw someone post last week or week before last with a tip about keeping purple frosting and/or fondant from fading.

Can someone refresh my memory since apparently I have lost my mind??

Thanks!

8 replies
Amaranthine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amaranthine Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 9

Is it this one?

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=687656&sid=77554f0f989282192b3fbb58e33a246d

All I know for sure is, keep it away from sunlight and bright lights as much as possible. Someone told me that she put her purple flowers in a sunny window to snap a few pictures, and within *minutes* they had faded to a bluish color. icon_surprised.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 9

I tested Crystal Colors powder with fondant. I had it under florescent lights and in a sunny window for over a week and no change in color.

I think if I had to do purple, thiat is the way I would go.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:51pm
post #4 of 9

Texas Sugar,
I read your response to the other post about purple fondant & BC fading.

I am interested in what you are saying about adding Crystal Colors to fondant. I am assuming you are taling about petal dust? How much are you adding to the fondant and how much fondant are you talking about? I know it depends on how dark you want it. I have such a hard time imagining petal dust mixing into fondant as you knead it.

Tell me more please.

Thanks

gourmetsharon Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 9

actually, no, but thanks for that link!

I thought someone posted something about adding baking soda in with either fondant or their buttercream.

Been so tired...

sullymel13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sullymel13 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 9

Did you ever find the answer? I remember the same tip, which I promptly forgot, and now I need the answer again!

Thanks!

gourmetsharon Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 9

I didn't find the same answer but lack the time.

I appreciate the tip about the Crystal Colors. Saw these at the local cake store today.

Got bigger fish to fry (literally, working on a fisherman's birthday cake!)

Thanks all!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 9

I had never heard of this and took to google and came up with this link to Global Sugar Arts which explains how to mix it with the different mediums. And it looks like there's almost 100 colours.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/cat.php?cid=995&s=&name=CRYSTAL%20COLORS

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 12 Aug 2010 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 9

"Crystal colors" are basically powdered food coloring, but it can also be used to dust your gumpaste and fondant decorations after they have dried.

here is a good link: http://www.countrykitchensa.com/catalog/product.aspx?ShopId=46&CatId=535&SubCatId=1716&productId=633551

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%