Won My First Contest!!!

Decorating By kkbritt8 Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 11:19pm by tweeter_bug98

kkbritt8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkbritt8 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:30am
post #1 of 7

I decided to try my luck in our local fair's cake decorating contest. Even more, I entered as a professional (though I am nowhere close) because I thought I was going to be entering with high school and above as an amatuer (though I was wrong).

Anyways, the theme of the fair was "Flavors of the Valley" and was supposed to represent all of the local flavors throughout the California Central Valley. I'm proud to say that not only did I win first place, but I also won best in show over the entire decorating category. I felt even more proud when I actually went in and saw how great some of the entries were!! This has definitely instilled a little more confidence and I'll be on the hunt for more contests!!

6 replies
kkbritt8 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:39am
post #2 of 7

OK. So apparently I can't attach photos of my cake in here. If you want to check it out, it's in my pics. It's the tomato barrel, wine bottle, pepsi can, etc.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:50am
post #3 of 7

That cake is phenomenal! The Pepsi spill and splash in the air is unbelievably fantastic and the almonds look real. Loved the taco truck with a cool sounding menu of goodies.

How did you do the Pepsi splash? I am very proud of you for being brave enough to enter, enter as a professional, and make a cake that was so very ambitious! Your family must be so pleased.

I aspire to your level of cakeness.

kkbritt8 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:07am
post #4 of 7

Thank you. The taco truck was added with a little humor, and the way it was displayed in the case (bummer you couldn't see a view of the whole thing) the judges had placed the Best of Show completely covering the taco truck, so I'm guessing they didn't get the humor.

The Pepsi was actually pretty easy. I used the Rock Candy recipe found on this site and put a little brown coloring in it. I greased some foil with Criso and then poured a couple strips of the candy and then a lot of little dribbles and let them dry. I had actually intended on handling them before they completely dried, but got sidetracked with my kids and when I returned they were rock hard. When I picked them up, I broke it. So I ended up "gluing" it back together by melting the sugar over the flame on my stove and then warmed the rest of it enough to allow me to bend it a little and kind of crumple it so it looked a little more natural. The drips coming up were the little dribbles I made that I melted over the flame on the bottom and then "glued" them onto a round puddle I had made. I then melted the area that sat inside the can so it didn't fall out during transport. All a little trial and error.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:28pm
post #5 of 7

Congratulations! And your win was well deserved, it's a great cake!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 7

Congratulations!

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:19pm
post #7 of 7

Great job! I love the Pepsi, too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%