Mint Extract Vs. Peppermint Extract

Baking By approachthebench Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 10:30pm by pajnpis

approachthebench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
approachthebench Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:27am
post #1 of 7

I have been reading around on the difference between mint and peppermint extract and there are tons of different answers floating around. Id thought Id come to the place where people actually know what they are talking about!

When making mint buttercream or mint chocolate cupcakes or anything that asks for a minty flavor what do you use? Mint extract or Peppermint and why?

6 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:23am
post #2 of 7

I use peppermint.

momg9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momg9 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 7

I use mint sometimes when making candy. Mint extract tastes like spearmint and peppermint like peppermint. Like the Lifesaver candy, the difference in the green package (spearmint) or the blue (peppermint).

DarleneP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DarleneP Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:20am
post #4 of 7

This is good to know. A lady at work bought me a bakery cake for my birthday. It was chocolate mint but it was spearmint flavored-it was weird. At first I thought it tasted like toothpaste. It was so funny to see people's reactions when they took a bite! They would be polite but most went in the trash. I don't like the combo of spearmint and chocolate at all....

frogcooke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogcooke Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 7

i prefer peppermint over regular mint.

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 7

Peppermint..

pajnpis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pajnpis Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 7

I prefer to use mint extract. It goes really good with chocolate although I haven't tried peppermint yet

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%