Help Please!!!

Baking By gbeaver Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 12:01pm by GeminiRJ

gbeaver Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:59am
post #1 of 4

I just bought a book that had cute cookie, cupcake and cake ideas in it...
but most of the cookie icing calls for Color Flow Mix powder? Is there a recipe
that someone could give me that would give the same effect without having to purchase the flow mix? I am new and have only used store-bought (ready to frost) icings and have not used this type of icing technique before...and I don't want the cookies to be messed up! Thank you in advance!
icon_confused.gif g beaver

3 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:06am
post #2 of 4

Color flow is thinned-down royal icing. Royal icing is made from egg whites and powdered sugar, but because of the risks of consuming raw egg, most people use meringue powder to make royal icing. You can use meringue powder or color-flow mix to make your icing, but you'll want to purchase one or the other.

You can cover sugar cookies with fondant too.

gbeaver Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:05am
post #3 of 4

Thank you VERY MUCH Texas_Rose for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate your reply very much, I am trying to learn alot about baking and decorating...I have an artistic background, I just don't know all of the best recipes for all different kinds of decorative icings or fillings, and wanted to do my homework before I had a disaster and got discouraged! Thank you again for your helpful hint and for your time. I am going to attempt a decorated cake and (maybe) cookies for a family reunion and was looking for inspiration on this site...This site is great!!! Have a good day!

GeminiRJ Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 4

This is the only icing I use for my cookies (LOVE it):

3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
3 tablespoons skim milk (or other type milk, or water)
3 tablespoons corn syrup
1/2 tsp. clear vanilla or almond
5 drops brite white food color (optional) (I use Americolor brand)

In a bowl and with a spoon, mix together the first four ingredients until fully blended. Add the brite white and mix well. The icing needs to be the consistency of white school glue. To thicken the icing, add more powdered sugar. To thin the icing, use more corn syrup. Divide and color. (Practice will help in getting the consistency right. Too thin and the icing will drip off the cookie. Too thick and it will be hard to pipe.)

Notes: you do not need to worry about using milk in this recipe. The high sugar content acts as a preservative. Any leftover icing will stay fresh for 2-3 weeks in the refrigerator. The decorated cookies do not need to be refrigerated, and it is not recommended (the icing can turn cloudy and spotty when cold). I've had some luck refrigerating the decorated cookies only after the icing has set for a day or two.

The brite white helps to lessen probelms with spotting. It also seems to helps to reduce the chances of the colors bleeding into each other. Another tip to reduce bleeding is to add the darker colors first, and then the lighter ones.

I do all my outlining last. I like to add all my leftover icing together, add some black, and enough powdered sugar to thicken it to the consistency of peanut butter. I use a #1s or #1 for all outlining.

Quote by @%username% on %date%