Decorating By kjxoxo1 Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 9:15pm by Maluisa

kjxoxo1 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:00am
post #1 of 10

I am very new to baking and have a question. I noticed on Global Art there is a sale on Satin Ice Rolled Fondant icing as well as Satin Ice Rolled Buttercream Fondant icing. What is the difference? Also, is Satin Ice a good product? Does it taste okay? Thanks in advance for any information. I have not used fondant yet and want to begin.

9 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:42am
post #2 of 10

I use Satin Ice quite a bit. I like it.

Regular Satin Ice is vanilla flavored. Buttercream Satin Ice is buttercream flavored. No other difference.

Normita Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:04am
post #3 of 10

I buy their premade red and black fondant...not gonna stress to get those colors myself. I have used the regular vanilla fondant but had sooooio many issues with that batch (stretching, tearing). I have heard from other cc"s that there was a problem with some bad batches. I called SI and they are gonna send me a new 20 pound bucket.

I actually prefer fondx for white vanilla fondant...IMO icon_smile.gif

bmarlow001 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:21am
post #4 of 10

I am also a religous Fondx user although I did use the satin ice for awhile and have bought the buttercream fondant and it was very yummy icon_smile.gif

kjxoxo1 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:21am
post #5 of 10

This was extremely helpful!!! Thank you all sooo much!! I'm going to purchase some to try it out since it is on sale.

Sweet_Guys Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:10am
post #6 of 10

We prefer Fondarific...They're flavors seem more evident to taste than other brands. If you work in a high-humidity type climate, you'll also love Fondarific.

Darlene Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:09pm
post #7 of 10

I also love Fondarific!

Maluisa Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 10

How is fondarific do as far as stretching, elephant skin and stickiness. I have a bucket of pettinice and have encountered all those problems. I can't even seem to use it for figures only because it becomes sticky before I can even start to mold. Any comments?

TrixieTreats Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:48pm
post #9 of 10

I used to use Satin Ice, but I found that it was too temperamental when it comes to heat and humidity. Elephant skin and dryness became annoying to me. Fondarific is the tastiest fondant available (this is also the new Duff brand in Michaels stores) and it has just about an unlimited work time. The only thing with Fondarific is that it can sometimes feel greasy to me when I have been working it alot, so resting it is important, especially if you are cutting accents and things like that. I have been mixing homemade fondant (Michelle Foster's Fondant recipe) with Fondarific. Love it, and it is very cost effective. I do a 60/40 or 70/30 homemade to Fondarific. It obviously helps stretch the batch for cost effectiveness, and also makes the homemade fondant more durable, which is my only complaint with homemade...sometimes it can be a bit soft. I have been wanting to do this with Fondx as well....

Maluisa Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 9:15pm
post #10 of 10

You are telling me that Duff's is fondarific under a different label? If so That would be an easy way to try it out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%