Can This Be Turned In To A Cake?

Decorating By BrendaLeigh Updated 1 Aug 2010 , 12:29am by Mindy1975

BrendaLeigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrendaLeigh Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:20am
post #1 of 9

I was wanting to make a backpack cake I just don't know if it is possible to make it stand. Any Ideas? It is hard for me to think out side the box. Thanks.
LL

8 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:28am
post #2 of 9

There are lots of golfbag cakes on here that were done standing up. I'm pretty sure you could do this by stacking cakes and carving away some to give it the shape you want. Make sure you put a dowel down the center so it doesn't fall over. Ice and cover in fondant.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:55am
post #3 of 9

Think of it as your normal multi-tier cake --- say 3 or even 4 tiers (12"-16" tall) in this case. All properly stacked and supported like any multi-tier cake.

EXCEPT -- all the tiers start out the same size.

then you carve away what isn't needed to get the shape of the book bag. then add lots of fondant details.

JanelleH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanelleH Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:49am
post #4 of 9

Yes, I'm with the other posters, just make sure you support with plates/cardboard circles every two or three layers of cake, with dowel supports plus one driven through the center.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:31am
post #5 of 9

In Confetti Cakes for Kids by Elisa Strauss, there's a backpack cake with 8 pages of instructions.

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 11:09am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlourPots

In Confetti Cakes for Kids by Elisa Strauss, there's a backpack cake with 8 pages of instructions.

I based my cake on her instructions, but personalized it. This was done for a party at my kids' school. It was surprisingly easy. You can pm me with any questions. Good luck
LL

Noey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noey Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 4:07pm
post #7 of 9

That backpack cake is amazing!

BrendaLeigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrendaLeigh Posted 31 Jul 2010 , 7:28pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you every one for your help I will let you all know how it turns out. I will be delivering it on Sat. icon_lol.gif

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:29am
post #9 of 9

Awesome cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%