Degree Needed Or Not??

Business By Piecukonis Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 4:18am by kitty122000

Piecukonis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Piecukonis Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 9

I have been happily baking and decorating cakes for about a year now but am completely self taught. I have a ton more to learn before I can make a career out of it. My ultimate dream is to own a dessert bar...selling cheesecakes, special event cakes, cupcakes, cookies, pastries, etc. I have a great idea for exactly what I want and have put tons of thought into it and even have a name ready to go that no one in the US has. The thing is....I have never worked professionally in a kitchen or restaurant. I want to do a 12 week internship (no pay) for 4 hours a week at a local cupcake bakery. The owner has been on Cupcake Wars on the Food Network. I am going to call her up and volunteer my time...I'll do anything...sweep, mop, dishes...anything to learn the business and have her teach me how to run a bakery and how to decorate. I'm calling her tomorrow. Also....A local dairy that has a small grocery store in it selling it's goods offered me an opportunity to sell my cupcakes and cakes directly out of their store on one condition..I have to use their eggs, milk, and butter. That's awesome because I can make a little money and get experience and get my name out there. Say....in 3 years....if I want to open my own shop and I go into banks for business loans for startup costs...will they want a degree to back up what I am doing in the culinary arts or baking arts...or can I do it without going broke with student loans???

8 replies
Piecukonis Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 9

Oh I should add that I have a diploma (2-year program) in Business Management and have also completed 2 Wilton courses at a local hobby store. So I know I need to learn more of the safe handling practices, regulations, etc...and more of the business and safety end of things. I can take the Food Service Workers exam through the state. Do you think this is enough to open my own bakery after a few more years of doing it through the dairy and maybe getting a internship with another bakery or restaurant. The only place that offers a degree here where I live costs $51,000 for the 21 month Associates in Bakery and Pasty Arts and another $88,000 for a Bachelors in Culinary Arts. I have heard some say that banks and investors in the food industry want a 4 year degree.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:18am
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piecukonis

The only place that offers a degree here where I live costs $51,000 for the 21 month Associates in Bakery and Pasty Arts and another $88,000 for a Bachelors in Culinary Arts. I have heard some say that banks and investors in the food industry want a 4 year degree.

If you're willing to spend $139,000 for a degree, just because you "heard" that banks and investors want to see it, why not bypass a loan and spend the $139,000 on your own bakery?

Piecukonis Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:10pm
post #4 of 9

You are so right! My hubby and I were discussing it a lot last night and he was like "with student loans like that...you wouldn't be able to afford to open a bakery!" So I think I am going to go for Business Management (cheaper and will give me something to fall back on) and take the Food Service Exam that my state offers and just spend the next couple years practicing a ton!!! Taking a few classes here and there and saving money.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:34pm
post #5 of 9

thumbs_up.gif Sounds like a great plan. Speaking of plans... don't forget to write a detailed business plan--you won't regret what you'll learn from writing it!

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

thumbs_up.gif Sounds like a great plan. Speaking of plans... don't forget to write a detailed business plan--you won't regret what you'll learn from writing it!

and the business plan will help more at the bank than any schooling. It will have most of the info they are looking for

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:29am
post #7 of 9

I do believe that education is very important. However, I do NOT believe that people need a degree to succeed. If you know your market and your field up oneside and down the other, you can do anything. Network with the right people the right way and always be professional, you can accomplish great feats.

Piecukonis Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:45pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. I know this is going to happen for me!

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 4:18am
post #9 of 9

I could have written your post about a year ago. I'm about to start my second year at my local community college working towards my associate of applied science degree in small business/entreprenuership. Lucky for me, I am able to have my home kitchen licensed and am able to work from home, while I go through school. The down side is we are broke most of the time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%