Would This Design/pattern Look Odd?

Decorating By stacyd Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 8:03am by tinygoose

stacyd Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 9:38pm
post #1 of 7

My coworker made me a topsy turvy stand and I would like to try it for my daughter's 15th birthday cake. I was thinking of doing a cake w/ zebra stripes but she likes chocolate cake w/ chocolate icing. Would zebra stripes look weird on chocolate? Would it be better if I did the zebra pattern but maybe in a color on chocolate? Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks

6 replies
Moondance Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 7

what about yellow stripes on chocolate icing? Like a tiger print??

DianeLM Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 7

How about torting the cake so it has lots of layers of chocolate icing inside. Then, you can decorate the outside black and white.

mamakasst Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:09pm
post #4 of 7

Could you make the zebra stripes out of white chocolate or white fondant? It could be a brown zebra with white stripes. You could also add a bit of black food coloring to the chocolate frosting to make it black. I don't know if she is a fan of pink and glitter but pink and brown are a very hot thing right now. You could do pink glitter stripes! Let us know how it turns out!

Jen80 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:38am
post #5 of 7

If you're using fondant, maybe you could try some white chocolate fondant for the base and some brown chocolate fondant coloured black for the stripes?

Or for buttercream, I like mamakassts' idea: Pink glitter stripes on Chocolate!

Sagebrush Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:32am
post #6 of 7

for any chocolate icing you want to look black, start with Hershey's special dark cocoa powder. A friend of mine does, and w/o even adding any black food coloring, she gets a fabulously dark black-looking icing. If you didn't think it was quite black enough, at least you'd only need a little black coloring, rather than a lot if you started w/ plain white icing, and so you wouldn't have to deal with such a bitter, chemically taste.

Here's a link to a couple of posts on her blog about it with pictures:

http://cakeideas.blogspot.com/search/label/Hershey%27s%20Special%20Dark%20cocoa

tinygoose Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 8:03am
post #7 of 7

Pink and brown look great together too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%