Cake Ball Recipe W/out Canned Icing?

Baking By Hollandy Updated 25 Jul 2010 , 5:47pm by mamawrobin

Hollandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollandy Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 4

I have probably two cups+ of cake trimmings and scraps that I would like to make cake balls with. It's vanilla butter cake. Do any of you have a recipe that doesn't call for canned icing that would go well with this cake and how much homemade icing would I then use for two cups of scaps (canned icing isn't availble here)? I searched this site and only got two recipes, one with canned icing and the other was for Toblerone cake balls.

TIA

3 replies
hbarberycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbarberycakes Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:30pm
post #2 of 4

I haven't done them but I've heard of some using melted candly melts and dipping them into that. I don't know if yall have those there or not. HTH

sweetlybaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlybaked Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 4

You can use anything that will bind it together. When you put it into the mixer, just eyeball it. Put a little frosting in at a time until it all comes together. I have made chocolate peppermint ones with not frosting at all, just the chocolate cake scraps and the peppermint extract and those came together great...more like a truffle. HTH.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:47pm
post #4 of 4

I don't use any binder. My cake is moist enough that I don't add any icing to the cake. I just break the cake up and use a fork to break it up even into a finer crumb. I think adding any icing to the cake mixture makes them too gummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%