Substitution Ingredients.

Baking By frogcooke Updated 25 Jul 2010 , 6:33pm by frogcooke

frogcooke Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 6

I want to make a coconut butter pecan cake with the box butter pecan. I have a can of coconut milk. Was wondering if it would be better ti substitute the oil or water for the milk.

I know I've substituted oil with applesauce/mashed bananas in muffins and pancakes, etc.

If i replace the oil with the milk, will it be fine?

I've only started messing around with substitutions when making healthier baked goods, not really cake yet.

5 replies
mamawrobin Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 6

I don't use any oil in my cakes. I would think that you could just replace the liquid for liquid and omit the oil altogether. That's what I would do. thumbs_up.gif

pmarks0 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 6

I would replace the liquid in the recipe with the coconut milk, not the oil.

frogcooke Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

I don't use any oil in my cakes. I would think that you could just replace the liquid for liquid and omit the oil altogether. That's what I would do. thumbs_up.gif

oh ok! so replace the water for the milk and omit oil? I would assume adding extra milk to account for the oil too, right?

yeah, ive been taking oil out of muffins and other stuff. So i figure maybe i can do that with the cakes as well.

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogcooke

Quote:

oh ok! so replace the water for the milk and omit oil? I would assume adding extra milk to account for the oil too, right?

yeah, ive been taking oil out of muffins and other stuff. So i figure maybe i can do that with the cakes as well.

I think since you're using coconut milk it would be safe to omit the oil altogether. If you'd feel better putting it in..I would reduce it to half the amount called for.

frogcooke Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogcooke

Quote:

I think since you're using coconut milk it would be safe to omit the oil altogether. If you'd feel better putting it in..I would reduce it to half the amount called for.

oh ok. thats what I thought you originally meant but then wasnt sure. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%