Need To Vent A Little......

Decorating By lilyankee5688 Updated 25 Jul 2010 , 10:52pm by lilyankee5688

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:48pm
post #1 of 5

just to start off.. i'm not a pro, but I do cakes for friends and family. I am a stay at home mom, and my fiance just found out (thursday morning) his boss sold the company and he is now unemployed. icon_cry.gif Well this weekend I am doing a baby butt cake (this is my 3rd one) and a Dora themed cake, just like the one in my pics but the number 2. Both are due today the 25th. The Dora is due at 12:30 and the baby butt is due around 4. Well I baked the Dora cake and the 2 9in rounds for the baby butt on Friday. Well while the rounds wee in the oven we had a BAD storm. The power kept flickering and finally went out a few times, only for a few minutes. Well my oven is very old, and it was set at 350, after the power came back on it was 450!! So needless to say, the cakes were ruined, burnt on the outside raw on the inside!!!

So Saturday my sister came to take my 2 year old to the Zoo so I could have time to my self. I went to the store to get all the materials to make the rounds again! I didnt know I ran out of Baker's Joy, so I used Crisco/cocoa powder, usually what I do in this situation, no problem. But since the power outage the oven has been heating too hot, it much have gotten a surge or something. Well the outer edges were not burnt, but almost there, and the insides were perfect!! I cut the edges down a little, and went ahead and iced it. The cakes didn't rise either, so once they were stacked there was NOTHING there.. In the mean time I have the Dora cake iced and finished except the fondant things that were drying.

Well i stayed up doing the fondant things until about 1AM, went to bed and set my alarm for 8AM. I get up to my 9in round totally sunk, looks AWFUL. I am in tears as I finish the Dora cake. My fiance goes and gets money from his uncle fo watching their cats and mowing their grass. HE told me he would go to the store to get the stuff to make ANOTHER 2 layer 9in rounds. This cake is due around 4, takes a good 30-40 mins to get to my sister's house, which is where I'm meeting the girl this is for.

I'm so upset about this, the EASIEST cake is giving me the hardest time!! I think its mainly I have SO much on my mind the last few days, I cant seem to focus on it..

Well time to go wash my pans and KA, so I can be ready when he gets home!!! Thanks for letting me vent a little.. hopefully it comes out better this time around!

-Becky

4 replies
staceytisdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceytisdale Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 5

Sending positive thoughts your way!! It'll turn out great!!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 5

Sorry to hear your tale of woe. Let's home the third time will be the charm! Good luck!!

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 5

Big Hugs for YOU!!! (((((lilyankee568icon_cool.gif))))

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for reading that..lol I was having such a bad morning, Both cakes are delivered and so far everyone has like them.. I had the baby butt cake to my sister's house at 4:05, still beat her friend there.. It came out OK, not how I wanted but what do you expect for 3 hours to ice and decorate it. But she loved it, so I feel a little better... Its just not what I had visioned in my mind! The Dora cake was great, they loved it, and I got a text from a friend who was at the party saying how everyone loved it and wanted to know where they got it. Looks like I'll be making some cake balls here soon, I have so much cake and cupcakes left over!! lol

Time to get my blanket and curl up on the couch! ha ha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%