Fondant Flowers Changed Color

Decorating By DSmo Updated 23 Oct 2010 , 11:06am by Sweet_Toof

DSmo Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 15

I had an interesting experience yesterday. I make some mini cupcakes to take to a picnic. They were iced with buttercream and decorated them with little fondant flowers and leaves. I used Duff's white fondant and color the flowers with a small amount of AmeriColor Regal Purple, so they were a nice light lavender. The leaves were colored with a little AmeriColor Avocado. I made four dozen cupcakes so they had to go in two carriers. I used a Wilton Ultimate 3-in-1 Cake Caddy and an older Tupperware Rectangular Cake Taker. I had placed the Wilton carrier on the floor in the back of the van, but because the Tupperware carrier didn't hold the cupcakes securely, I held it on my lap in the front seat. When we arrived and I opened the carriers, I discovered the flowers on the cupcakes in the Tupperware carrier had turned blue! I am assuming it's because they were somewhat in the sunlight in comparison to the others. But it had only been an hour and I really didn't expect anything like that would happen.

It has me concerned... what if that had been a wedding cake near a window? Delivered lavender, but the bride finds a blue cake when she arrives at the reception?!?!

Anyone have a similar experience with colors changing?

14 replies
Angel_Cake Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:07pm
post #2 of 15

I haven't personally but I've seen a few threads on here about the same thing. Purple for some reason changes color in sunlight. I think if you search the forums, there might be some suggestions on how to fix it...

DSmo Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:14pm
post #3 of 15

Thanks. I'll check it out. I did a search but didn't find anything. I'll change my search words.

dsilvest Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 15

Add 1 tsp baking soda to a pound of pruple coloured fondant to help preserve the colour. I have some dark purple fondant roses that I made 2 months ago and they are still the same colour. They have been sitting out in the light with nothing covering them.

DSmo Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:25pm
post #5 of 15

Thanks so much! I'll try that next time. Do you know if there are any other colors that have this same issue?

dsilvest Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:12pm
post #6 of 15

Pink, red are also prone to quick fading if exposed to the light. I used the baking soda for a dark pink as well and it is still dark after 1 month.

Rusti Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 15

in class they told us to always add a little pink to purple to keep it from fading. It works for me.

BlakesCakes Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 15

Pre-colored purple fondant doesn't fade.

I keep ChefMaster No Fade Purple and No Fade Pink liquid color on hand for just this reason. I get great color and no fading.

As a side note, I was married 30 years ago this coming Aug. 9. The flowers on my cake were to be a lovely dusty violet (the bridemaids dresses were "aubergine"). When I walked into the reception hall to set up centerpieces, I was greeted by a cake with lots of very BLUE roses on it. I was furious and very upset. icon_eek.gif It took me until 5 years ago to realize what had happened--the baker had used purple coloring and the flowers had been exposed to the bright fluorescent lights in his shop, hence, blue.

Now, whenever DH & I see a cake wreck, we'll look at each other and cry, "Oh, they're BLUE!" as a code to acknowledge the disaster icon_lol.gif

Rae

dsilvest Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:37am
post #9 of 15

I recently opened a purple chocopan and it was blue on the outside and purple on the inside. Kneaded together it was fine but even in the sealed plastic container there was a colour change.

Peridot Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 5:41pm
post #10 of 15

I need to keep the 1 tsp. baking soda to 1 pound of fondant in mind the next time I do purple or deep pink.

shannycakers Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 11:24am
post #11 of 15

BUt WHAT DO YOU DO FOR BUTTERCREAM TO KEEP FROM TURNING?? CANT ADD BAKING SODA?? AND I HAVE A PURPLE WEDDING CAKEicon_sad.gif TO DRIVE 45 MINUTES ON FRIDAY?? HELP

dchockeyguy Posted 1 Sep 2010 , 5:43pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannycakers

BUt WHAT DO YOU DO FOR BUTTERCREAM TO KEEP FROM TURNING?? CANT ADD BAKING SODA?? AND I HAVE A PURPLE WEDDING CAKEicon_sad.gif TO DRIVE 45 MINUTES ON FRIDAY?? HELP

Rae mentioned the CHefmaster "No fade" puprle color. That tends to hold it's color fairly well, so I would start by using that for your purple color.

Sweet_Toof Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:04am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchockeyguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannycakers

Rae mentioned the CHefmaster "No fade" puprle color. That tends to hold it's color fairly well, so I would start by using that for your purple color.

SO glad I'm reading this now and not later... of all cakes, I am doing a 3 tier wedding cake with purple fondant ribbon and bows...
I will look into this Chef Master No fade purple.
Should I be colouring later rather than in advance.... ? any other advice?

icer101 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 4:38am
post #14 of 15

all chefmaster colors are wonderful. i love them.

Sweet_Toof Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 11:06am
post #15 of 15

Does chefmaster stock paste colours or only liquid?
I wanted to colour some fondant and my experience with liquid colours and fondant meant very sticky fondant to work with and a lot of sugar to get the stickiness out - a pain really icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%