Help Please - Icing On Cookies And Storage

Baking By allaboutcakeuk Updated 30 Jul 2010 , 9:57pm by allaboutcakeuk

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 12

Hi, I'm doing large cookies as favours for my friend's wedding next week. I've baked nearly all the cookies yesterday and today. they are shoes and bow ties. I've put them in tupper ware containers as they are not going to be put out for her wedding until Thursday. I thought about starting to ice some today but will they still be fresh in their cellophane bags with ribbon tied round the top.

Another question is the bow ties need to be black - would you recommend cutting out fondant to put on the top in black or doing RI? I'm just concerned about black being hard to achieve in RI. I was going to pipe round the edge and flood fill. Have about 50 bow ties and 65 shoes to do. Shoes are going to be in white with a pipped ribbon and bow line detail round the top edge of the shoe.

Really need to get as much done before hand as have to deliver the cake and cookies the day before the wedding as I'm bridesmaid too but don't want them to spoil.

Any help gratefully received. I'm doing the 4 tier wedding cake as well as being bridesmaid so feeling the pressure right now!! Wondering what on earth I took on

icon_smile.gificon_sad.gif

11 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 12

I cover all my shaped cookies in fondant then pipe in RI.
Storing them in the bags tied with ribbon will actually work better as the cookies will absorb any moistness from the fondant and get a bit soft when stored in air tight containers. I have made them 5 days in advance and they were still pretty crisp and tasted great. It all depends on how cold you keep your storage area.

allaboutcakeuk Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 9:29pm
post #3 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

I cover all my shaped cookies in fondant then pipe in RI.
Storing them in the bags tied with ribbon will actually work better as the cookies will absorb any moistness from the fondant and get a bit soft when stored in air tight containers. I have made them 5 days in advance and they were still pretty crisp and tasted great. It all depends on how cold you keep your storage area.

Thank you minicuppie. i stored them uniced in airtight containers and they stayed crisp then decorated the next day and put in bags. They are at the wedding venue now ready for thursday morning. I'm at the wedding so i hope everyone likes them!!

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:11am
post #4 of 12

Wedding cookies are my fave to decorate! Where's the pix? Post one of the cake, too! mimi

allaboutcakeuk Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:49am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by minicuppie

Wedding cookies are my fave to decorate! Where's the pix? Post one of the cake, too! mimi

its lovely to see what can be achieved with cookies isn't it when they are decorated. it was really stressful at first as it's a friend and biggest amount i've undertaken. Have attached a pic of the cake I delivered it y'day and being cut thursday. have attached a pic of the shoe cookies - didn't have time to take pic of bow ties but will take some good pics of them on the table etc on Thursday
LL
LL

Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 12

Wow what a great job. I'm sure everyone will enjoy them icon_smile.gif

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 12

I have done decorated, bagged cookies ahead and stored them, in their cellophane bags inside Tupperware and it's worked perfectly. If you're using NFSC recipe, it stays wonderful for days.

cindy58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy58 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:46pm
post #8 of 12

Your cake and cookies look great!

Writecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Writecakes Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 12

How beautiful! You are very talented!

TucsonGina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TucsonGina Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:13pm
post #10 of 12

Wow, beautiful work icon_biggrin.gif. I have an order for 300 cookies coming up and I have baked ahead and frozen in gallon freezer bags. As I have pulled them out and let them defrost, they are great. I still have to bag them tho icon_cry.gif

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 6:46pm
post #11 of 12

Nice work!

allaboutcakeuk Posted 30 Jul 2010 , 9:57pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks everyone I appreciate the lovely comments. The wedding was yesterday and the bride and groom loved it all and I'm so pleased. it made all the hard work worthwhile. Was baking again today cakes for a couple of birthdays so not much rest but I sure felt I could achieve anything today after the work I did on these. Thanks everyone too for all your help/advice along the way icon_smile.gif x

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%