Red Velvet - Is My Cake Undercooked?

Baking By carlee521 Updated 11 Sep 2013 , 10:05am by botty

carlee521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carlee521 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 7

I made two batches (one at a time) of WASC (kakeladi) red velvet DH cake. 9x13 and (1) 8 inch (both are wilton decorator preferred) and had batter left over.

I baked the 9x13 first. The top sprung back, toothpick came out clean. I turned it over on the cooling rack and to me the bottom looks weird and is a teeny bit shade darker in the middle but it springs back too. So maybe I'm just paranoid? Just to make sure I put it back in the pan and baked it for 10 extra minutes, I have no idea if that helped any or not.

I baked the 9x13 @ 325..my oven runs hot and make the cakes pull away from the sides. I looked at the wilton batter/baking time guide and it said the next size up 11x15 cooked at 325..so I went by the 35-40 minute for the 11x15..since it was the first sheet cake with a temp of 325. (which is the same amount of time for 9x13 @ 350)

I used the homemade cake release as well.

Did I cook the cake wrong? Could I have used to much cake release? Is Red Velvet always a pain in the butt?
LL
LL

6 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:18pm
post #2 of 7

Looks okay to me. I just made the same cake and it looks exactly like yours. This is usually a very moist cake. I hope the extra 10 minutes didn't over bake it. Whatever icing you use should help keep it moist as well.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:44pm
post #3 of 7

Why don't you torte the cake to make sure. But it looks good to me.

carlee521 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks Y'all....I did check the middle of both..they were good..I was just worried. I haven't mastered torting a 2 inch layer yet..so I just cut the centers..since it didn't have to travel anywhere

It came out perfect...thanks <3 (The extra time didn't hurt or dry it out at all)

I was making this as a surprise for my dad...so I was anxious/overworried.

Here it is!! it's a boiled milk frosting..very good..but I like the clean look of crusting frostings.
LL

dsilbern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilbern Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 7

Very cute cake!

carlee521 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 7:26pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilbern

Very cute cake!

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif I'm so glad it turned out icon_lol.gif

botty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
botty Posted 11 Sep 2013 , 10:05am
post #7 of 7

hi, i just made red velvet too. The top is brown and delicious looking but the bottom looks like yours. I'm so confused. Not sure if it's undercooked or what. How did yours turn out. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%