Scratch Chocolate Cake.. Dare I Say That I Like Mix Better??

Decorating By bmoser24 Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 12:17am by bmoser24

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:29am
post #1 of 13

OK, Maybe I'm just crazy or 40 pounds heavier, now....but I have been testing recipes. See, I'm gonna start selling my cakes here soon in a business, and really want the best tasting baked goods. Well, I usually use doctored mixes, and made a scratch vanilla cake and WOW it was great, texture, flavor, moist. Had a custard like tase...yum.

Next, Chocolate I pulled out one of my fav's that I haven't made in years. Nope, i could taste something like flour and dry, even the color is off. So I sifted, and tweeked it and tried again, nope actually tasted "fake". I'm stumped. My chocolate DH doctored recipe gets raves from all, including me. I'm a choco-holic icon_redface.gif

Should i just stay with what works??? Any suggestions?

12 replies
Jo-melia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo-melia Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:49am
post #2 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

Should i just stay with what works???

Yep! If it works and you're happy with it, then you've answered your own question!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 6:29am
post #3 of 13

I'm also in the "yes, stay with what works" but I'm also an advocate of if you never try anything new then you'll never get anywhere different.

So hang onto what is working for you, but as you experiment with new things ......

Have you tried the choc cake recipe on the Hershey Cocoa can? It's so far the only scratch cake I can make well; very moist; very chocolatey tasting without me being able to taste the cocoa "powder" taste (hate that!).

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 6:30am
post #4 of 13

may I ask for your recipe for the scratch vanilla cake and what you do to doctor your chocolate? I've been using the Cake Doctor basic white sour cream WASC, and I've tried the Darn Good Chocolate Cake without chocolate chips. The Darn Good Chocolate cake made superb cupcakes, but seemed too wet and dense for the sheet cake I made, but everybody else loved it.

I'm trying to get a cake with very few crumbs.

Thanks

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 7:00am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I'm also in the "yes, stay with what works" but I'm also an advocate of if you never try anything new then you'll never get anywhere different.

So hang onto what is working for you, but as you experiment with new things ......

Have you tried the choc cake recipe on the Hershey Cocoa can? It's so far the only scratch cake I can make well; very moist; very chocolatey tasting without me being able to taste the cocoa "powder" taste (hate that!).

Yep, try the one on the Hershey's Cocoa can. It is amazing, I get requests for it and the frosting all the time. It's my most popular.

NatalieMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NatalieMarie Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:46am
post #6 of 13

Being myself a total chocoholic it took me ages to get a really good scratch chocolate cake recipe! In my view a chocolate cake should be light and moist and not too heavy. Eventually I found a fantastic recipe ( or should I say magic ingredient?!) that really transformed my cakes - buttermilk! I've just made a batch of chocolate cakes for a wedding cake consultation I have this evening and I made some extra for my kids! I love the recipe as it's moist, soft and chocolatey without being too rich!

If you wanted the recipe, I'd be happy to send it to you, just pm me.

CakeMom5001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMom5001 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 11:33am
post #7 of 13

I agree, buttermilk seems to be the key in my chocolate cake. I would love the scratch vanilla cake recipe if you are open to sharing. I use a doctored cake mix for my vanilla cake, but would love to have a go to scratch one. If you want the chocolate cake recipe - just let me know.

canucknewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canucknewbie Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 11:33am
post #8 of 13

Could someone please tell me the name of the Hershey's cake on the can. I can't find that brand of cocoa in the grocery stores here but I do have a Hershey's cook book. It has a few chocolate cake recipes in it so I'm not sure which one it is. Thanks.

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 11:41am
post #9 of 13

I, too, just tried a bunch of different recipes this weekend, including the Hershey's chocolate, and I have to say, it was just "ok." It didn't wow me, but maybe the impressive part is that it is scratch? I also baked some scratch WASCs and a box WASC and the difference in the textures was so interesting. The scratch cakes weren't bad or anything, but the boxed WASC was just so smooth and velvety and rose so nicely. I did half a cake with the box and half scratch and gave it to some friends. I told them about my experiment and to get back to me to let me know if they can figure out which one is the doctored box.

I think you could just keep experimenting until you make up your mind. I'm also interested in your scratch wasc recipe. icon_smile.gif

kger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kger Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 11:42am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucknewbie

Could someone please tell me the name of the Hershey's cake on the can. I can't find that brand of cocoa in the grocery stores here but I do have a Hershey's cook book. It has a few chocolate cake recipes in it so I'm not sure which one it is. Thanks.

I think this is it:
http://www.hersheys.com/recipes/recipes/detail.asp?id=184

canucknewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canucknewbie Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 11:59am
post #11 of 13

Thank you!

Cristi-Tutty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cristi-Tutty Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:20pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatalieMarie

Being myself a total chocoholic it took me ages to get a really good scratch chocolate cake recipe! In my view a chocolate cake should be light and moist and not too heavy. Eventually I found a fantastic recipe ( or should I say magic ingredient?!) that really transformed my cakes - buttermilk! I've just made a batch of chocolate cakes for a wedding cake consultation I have this evening and I made some extra for my kids! I love the recipe as it's moist, soft and chocolatey without being too rich!

If you wanted the recipe, I'd be happy to send it to you, just pm me.

I would love to try your recipe, could you please share with me too?

Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:17am
post #13 of 13

Thanks everybody, I'm still trying recipes...gonna be sick of chocolate soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

may I ask for your recipe for the scratch vanilla cake and what you do to doctor your chocolate?

Thanks

I have been using :
1 bx DH devil's food
1 sm bx instant ch. pudding
1/3 c oil
1 c s. cream
4 eggs
1 c. hot coffee

Bake @ 325

The scratch vanilla i'll have to get measurements, doing by weight/ratio.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%