Those Pillow Cake Pans By Wilton....

Decorating By KayMc Updated 25 Jul 2010 , 11:07pm by KayMc

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:28am
post #1 of 8

Is it possible to decorate the pillow cakes with buttercream and not fondant? I'm thinking it wouldn't be possible, but want to know from you experts! Thanks in advance............

7 replies
Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:47am
post #2 of 8

Anything is possible, lol....I don't see why you couldn't....It's basically just a square cake with rounded edges...

KayMc Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 8

I appreciate the positive thoughts! Thanks!

Has anyone made the pillows covered with buttercream? Anyone?

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 8

I have not made a pillow cake,but I suppose if you buttercream crusts well and have a perfect consistency...then I dont see why it wouldn't work!
I learnt from a sweet gal (Wendy) to "flash freeze" your cake before stacking them on each other...Meaning...freeze the cake 10 mins or so...just because you dont want to ruin the buttercream when you are stacking the cakes.
- h

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 8

KayMac, youtube has video on a pillow cake she covered it with fondant thou. i can`t see why u could `t do it with buttercream

KayMc Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the ideas! No one I know likes to eat fondant, and I'm wondering how difficult it would be to get the bc smooth on the undersurface.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 9:36pm
post #7 of 8

if you did it the same as the directions for the fondant, icing the bottom side first while it is in the upside position, get it smooth then place your cake board and flip it then ice the top side then i think you will be ok. all the decorating on it would need to be done while it is 'upside down' position though. make sure to use a crusting bc and the paper towel to smooth.

KayMc Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 11:07pm
post #8 of 8

That makes sense, Sweetcakes. And the part that gets mushed when you flip it, shouldn't matter, as the cake will be resting on that anyway. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%