What Does Duff's Or Cake Boss' Cake Taste Like?

Decorating By DeeDelightful Updated 7 Aug 2016 , 9:22am by Dar917

lh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lh Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 5:05am
post #31 of 60

I wish I had the same success as some of yall with duff's fondant. i think it's the worst fondant to work with bc it was extremely soft. i've worked w/ satin ice, fondx, fondariffic, and mmf.

it rolled beautifully and thinly but when i picked it up, it stretched so much that i couldn't use it icon_sad.gif

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 12:29pm
post #32 of 60

I haven't eaten either, but I would LOVE to get my hands on Buddy's goodies!!

Comment on Duff's fondant at Michaels...I purchase the black and purple fondant and it was awesome to work with! The only downside is that the buttercream flavor of the fondant "absorbed" I guess you could say into my buttercream and I didn't like that it did that....tasted a bit "funny" to me. Using MMF or Satin Ice never caused that problem for me....but I will still use Duff's, not a huge issue. I can't wait to try Duff's fondant on some NFSC, I bet the combo tastes fantastic!!! icon_smile.gif

jenny311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny311 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 5:57am
post #33 of 60

Buddy's fondant is definitely Satin Ice, I see the buckets on the show all the time.

ivymeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivymeister Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 6:13am
post #34 of 60

I agree..I bought duff black fondant...it was to soft and stretched when i tried picking it up, it was horrible! I have used satin ice and its the best so far. I'm not a fan of fondant, dont care for the taste at all. Its intersting to read all the comments about bakerys. Has anybody ever had any experince using simple syup on cakes to keep them moist?

Yum2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yum2010 Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 1:42pm
post #35 of 60

I recently tried duff's buttercream flavored fondant and it was absolutely a nightmare to work with. It came out of the container ROCK hard and I had to microwave it for a long time to get it pliable. I usually use satin ice or mmf. Then I had to add a TON of tylose just to get it to be a consistancy that was workable. Ugh! On the upside, it didn't taste that bad. But, I think I'll stick with my mmf or satin ice.

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 22 Oct 2010 , 10:14pm
post #36 of 60

Has anyone tried the yellow(lemon) flavored Duff fondant? Not sure if I like it. the colors are more like playdough colors than the colors on the bucket.

PenGwenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PenGwenny Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 1:34am
post #37 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Well, I tried my Duff's black fondant tonight. The container actually says "buttercream fondant". Don't know what that is supposed to be, but this is the best stuff I've worked with. It must have a very high shortening ratio because when I painted the vanilla on the fondant pieces to be glued on, it just beaded up every time. I never had to rebag any pieces I was working with either. I could cut many pieces and just leave them, they didn't change one bit. And it did go pretty far. I did two 11 x 4 inch tiers using the contoured pans because I was making two tires. I used 2 containers and got 2 cakes covered, plus cut the tread pieces and glued them on and still have a little left. It rolled perfectly, held up, didn't tear. Just fantastic to work with. I'm hoping I'll be as happy in the morning when I get up and see the cake. But I expect it will hold up beautifully. thumbs_up.gif

I bought Duff's fondant from Michaels...am curious...when you rolled out fondant did you use corn starch to keep it from sticking or confec. sugar?

Getting ready to do my first fondant covered cake tomorrow and wanted to know what would be best for me to try. Thx for any and all advice.

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 2:44am
post #38 of 60

are cannolis filled with fetta or cream, i only like the cream thanks

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 3:34am
post #39 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninatat

are cannolis filled with fetta or cream, i only like the cream thanks

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Rae

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 4:50am
post #40 of 60

Cannolis are traditionally filled with a sweetened ricotta filling ..

Feta is a is a brined curd cheese - Greek in origin

Cricketina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cricketina Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:09am
post #41 of 60

I hate to say this but I was recently in a Wilton fondant class and the teacher and one of the students said Duffs cakes from his bakery are pretty but taste bad...no say it ain't sooo ! I'll have to taste for my self!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 5:14am
post #42 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymeister

Has anybody ever had any experince using simple syup on cakes to keep them moist?

I just finished a class with Kathleen Lange, confectionarychalet . com
and she told us to always use simple syrup out of a spray bottle and it will add a lot of moisture/flavor to cakes (recipe on her website). She also cuts off the outside crust of all her cakes before she sprays them with simple syrup. I tried the simple syrup at home and ended up with a sticky surface on everything! I'm not using it unless I take the cake outside and spray it.

I'd love to try some of Buddy's stuff, sounds deeeleeeecious!

Rae, BlakesCakes - how did you get the scoop on the repackaging of the Duff fondant? I haven't bought any because it is so darned expensive. I'm lucky to live near a bakery supply warehouse that will sell to hobby bakers and I'm able to get FondX and Elite and Sweet Inspirations at wholesale prices. Sweet Inspirations is chocolate and fondant and tastes and smells MUCH better than regular fondant, but handles VERY differently. The new Elite brand handles well and tastes pretty good.

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 6:49pm
post #43 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

Rae, BlakesCakes - how did you get the scoop on the repackaging of the Duff fondant?

I sat next to a Satin Ice rep at a cake show and we were discussing the Duff products. It mades sense, too, because Duff had recently commented about using Fondarific for certain applications, but you still see SI being used right out of the buckets.

I've also compared the ingredients list of Fondarific & Duff's from Michaels and they're the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apti

I'm lucky to live near a bakery supply warehouse that will sell to hobby bakers and I'm able to get FondX and Elite and Sweet Inspirations at wholesale prices.

Please tell us the name of this bakery supply warehouse in case we're ever in the area. I travel a lot and my favorite "souvenirs" are great caking buys.

Thanks,
Rae

ivymeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ivymeister Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 8:15pm
post #44 of 60

APTI!! Thanks so much..i will check out that website!!

Apti Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 10:13pm
post #45 of 60

Rae, BlakesCakes: here's the link for the bakery supply place. It is not a store, it is a full on working warehouse with trucks and receiving dock and so on. I think it is remarkable that they allow us hobby bakers to purchase via will call. They do not have a picture catalog, only stock numbers and computer titles for the items. I call and ask do you have "XXXX" and how much is it? Then I record it in my files so I can order it again later.

http:// lakeside bakery supplies . com/

I spaced it out because sometimes I'll get a "blocked" on websites posted on CC.

Ivymeister: you are welcome. Kathleen's Lambeth work is awesome--check out her gallery.

BlakesCakes Posted 23 Oct 2010 , 10:21pm
post #46 of 60

Thanks so much!

Had I only known...........I just returned from 6 days in San Diego..........a mere 20 miles away.......................... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Maybe next time!

Rae

Apti Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:03am
post #47 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Thanks so much!

Had I only known...........I just returned from 6 days in San Diego..........a mere 20 miles away.......................... icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Maybe next time!

Rae

Bummer dude......

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 2:19am
post #48 of 60

I used to work for Buddy and it was always so difficult not coming home everyday with something! Everything he makes is delicious. I used to always bring it to family and friends too when they'd come to visit.

MamawJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamawJ Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:02pm
post #49 of 60
Quote:
Quote:

I used to work for Buddy and it was always so difficult not coming home everyday with something! Everything he makes is delicious. I used to always bring it to family and friends too when they'd come to visit

OMG! I would weigh 800 pounds if I worked there!! I do cakes, cookies and cupcakes......but I love canoli and other Italian and German pastries!!!!

vmertsock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vmertsock Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:05pm
post #50 of 60

I'm very lucky-I have almost no sweet tooth! I think it would've been harder if I had been making the cookies or up front (gotta taste test sometimes icon_wink.gif ) but I was upstairs doing the cakes so luckily I wasn't around the little things that add up. It's a lot harder to just have a taste of a big cake!

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:19pm
post #51 of 60

I havent had the pleasure but will say this. I am not sure (as I have heard conflicting rumors), but a transportation company contacted either Duff or Buddy for a cake. They were having a huge agent meeting. The theme of the cake was of course to include two semi trucks. I had someone forward the pic to me and the semi's were on the wrong side of the highway - well unless you live across the pond.

That picture made me appreciate my mistakes as I knew then that no one is perfect. It doesnt matter if you have fame, fortune, etc - everyone can make mistakes.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 4:47pm
post #52 of 60

I have often wondered this myself, I figured Buddy's sweets were good they always look it. Duff's I'm not sure I am turned off at the bare hands going into all the carved cakes. I am just thinking to myself, eww, that wouldn't be good for a customer to walkin and see. I wear gloves myself and my hair is back and net on. I have thought the cakes looked dry but since I don't have that much experience I wouldn't say that to him, lol, if the chance came up. I have noticed the bring extra sheet cakes a lot of times so maybe they are different. I notice when they ice the cakes it is a crumb coat or dirty iced only then fondant but since they have lots of details in the cakes I figure that is why they don't use any extra. I think it is great the art both can do and their work is great and amazing, I have learned a lot from watching the shows. I'm not great at anything I do but would say I've gotten better from them. As far as Duff's fondant--I can't find it near me!! I have Hobby lobby, JoAnn's and Walmart that is it so when I need cake supplies I have to order online. icon_cry.gif I wish I was lucky enough to have a shop that really carried what I needed.

Tclanton Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:28pm
post #53 of 60

I have learned all kinds of "tricks" and "tips" from both. I dont cover my cakes in fondant, but may one day. Anything that I can learn for free - well that is alright by me!! icon_biggrin.gif

caferock05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caferock05 Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 6:53pm
post #54 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tclanton

I have learned all kinds of "tricks" and "tips" from both. I dont cover my cakes in fondant, but may one day. Anything that I can learn for free - well that is alright by me!! icon_biggrin.gif

I love watching both shows too. Ace of Cakes is what got me started decorating cakes with fondant. I figured "Hey , I watched "Enuffa Duff"-I can do that... So my sister and I took on my cousins Quitillion cake a few years back and it cake out nice. We haven't stopped working on cakes since then.

I would like to get the chance to order a cake from Duff but they are quite pricey and well getting it to Chicago wouldn't be cheap either! I'll have to settle for the boxed Duff cake mixes from Michaels' (with coupon of course!)

Tclanton Posted 25 Oct 2010 , 7:05pm
post #55 of 60

I havent had anyone to ask me (well yet) for a fondant covered cake. I do have a recipe and would make it myself before buying it. People say that is tastes better. I would like to play with it and see what it is all about though. My biggest issue is finding a large enough surface to roll it out. But, I am sure that I could overcome that as well. icon_rolleyes.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 5:37am
post #56 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by PenGwenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

Well, I tried my Duff's black fondant tonight. The container actually says "buttercream fondant". Don't know what that is supposed to be, but this is the best stuff I've worked with. It must have a very high shortening ratio because when I painted the vanilla on the fondant pieces to be glued on, it just beaded up every time. I never had to rebag any pieces I was working with either. I could cut many pieces and just leave them, they didn't change one bit. And it did go pretty far. I did two 11 x 4 inch tiers using the contoured pans because I was making two tires. I used 2 containers and got 2 cakes covered, plus cut the tread pieces and glued them on and still have a little left. It rolled perfectly, held up, didn't tear. Just fantastic to work with. I'm hoping I'll be as happy in the morning when I get up and see the cake. But I expect it will hold up beautifully. thumbs_up.gif

I bought Duff's fondant from Michaels...am curious...when you rolled out fondant did you use corn starch to keep it from sticking or confec. sugar?

Getting ready to do my first fondant covered cake tomorrow and wanted to know what would be best for me to try. Thx for any and all advice.

I'm sorry it took so long for me to reply, but my internet hasn't been working.
I did use confec. sugar when I rolled out the fondant. Then after applying it I used a damp paper towel and wiped down the fondant, and it was perfect, no marks from the water, just perfectly even.

scanners2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scanners2003 Posted 13 Nov 2010 , 6:18am
post #57 of 60

I've had two different fondant cake's from Buddy's. I was very disappointed with both. The fondant was really bad. The cake wasn't very moist either. As for cupcakes, they were not bad but went out to Buddy's a few weeks ago and the place was mobbed. They were filming an episode and the line to get in was 3 blocks long. So I drove pass and a few block's up was a bakery called CRUMBS. So I stopped so my drive wasn't in vain. Well CRUMBS has the best cupcakes I've had so far. If you have a CRUMBS near you, try them.

lida83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lida83 Posted 6 Aug 2016 , 6:24pm
post #58 of 60

I just bought the badda blue fondant from cake boss, because it doesn't contains any allergens.  it was the worst fondant ever,  it cracks,  brakes  and it doesn't have any elasticity.  I was thinking that maybe it was passed day,  but when I looked up on the internet the reviews are the same, nothing good.  I am a huge fan of cake boss and I very disappointed with this product.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 12:03am
post #59 of 60

I"m withh you on the Cake Boss fondant.  I grabbed some because Michael's had it on clearance, they're getting rid of it.  I had exactly the same thing happen.  It is terrible to work with and it tastes even worse.  I wish Michael's would carry Duff's again, especially the black and red.  I use Satin Ice all the time, but for black and red, nothing beats Duff.

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 7 Aug 2016 , 9:22am
post #60 of 60

I once tried a small packet of Cake Boss fondant, because I needed just a little bit of red for something. I wasn't impressed; it dried out and hardened and all the other packages they had in the store were rock hard as well. Haven't tried any of Duff's products, but it's sad people say his cakes aren't good because on the show the people always say they're delicious?

Anyway, I pretty much always use Wilton fondant; it's nice and soft and has a nice vanilla marshmallow flavor. I once tried Satin Ice, which is all the last bakery I worked at used; I ordered a package off Amazon since they make the lighter green that I was looking for. It was very dry and hard and I had to work in a LOT of shortening and knead it a lot to get it to where I could roll it out for my cake. I know others love SI fondant but I was not impressed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%