Candy Clay

Decorating By jlkallred Updated 7 Oct 2011 , 3:24pm by bobwonderbuns

jlkallred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlkallred Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:40am
post #1 of 19

Has anyone ever used candy clay to cover a cake like fondant? I haven't mastered my fondant skills, and don't really like it, so I was considering the clay. Any suggestions? Thanks!

18 replies
Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:55am
post #2 of 19

Candy clay is what? PS and water? I would think that wouldn't hold up. And if it is similar to fondant, then it will act the same....are you using a premade fondant? Try MMF, it tastes good and it's easy to use.

PiccoloChellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PiccoloChellie Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 1:31am
post #3 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bskinne

Candy clay is what?

Candy clay is another name for modeling chocolate.

jlkallred, there are some decorators who use it like fondant. I find it hard to maneuver and more prone to tearing on its own, so what I like to do is mix it 50/50 with fondant. It tastes absolutely delicious and in my experience it's a dream to work with. It's very pliable/supple and it's super easy to handle.
Just take equal amounts and knead them together very well. I then wrap it up and let it rest for several hours before working with it. thumbs_up.gif

jlkallred Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:08pm
post #4 of 19

Oh, thanks....I've never tho't of that! The best of both worlds, I guess. I'll give it a go!!

tweeter_bug98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tweeter_bug98 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 1:44pm
post #5 of 19

I have a couple of cake books that suggest mixing modeling clay with fondant 50/50 and they swear by it. And in those books they use ganache underneath, never buttercream. They are both by European authors, so I am sure that has something to do with it.

jlkallred Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 2:57pm
post #6 of 19

I been reading on CC about using ganache under fondant instead of buttercream. I want to try it, but for some reason, I'm a little intimidated by it icon_rolleyes.gif One of these days....

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 19

I prefer to work with a 50/50 mix of candy clay/fondant. I tastes devine (particuarily with MMF) and is sturdier than regular candy clay. The fondant allows it to set more firmly for handling. However I have not covered a cake with it yet, but am planning to.

jlkallred Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:45pm
post #8 of 19

One more question: When I'm using candy clay for decorations, I use 1/3C Karo, but I saw a recipe that called for 1/2C if you wanted it more pliable. How much Karo do y'all use when you're going to mix it w/ fondant?

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 19

i saw mike mccarey do a demonstration of covering a cake with white modelling chocolate (pretty much same thing as candy clay). the technique he used was to "band" the sides of the cake and then put a circular "lid" on and meld the seam.

diane

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:59pm
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

i saw mike mccarey do a demonstration of covering a cake with white modelling chocolate (pretty much same thing as candy clay). the technique he used was to "band" the sides of the cake and then put a circular "lid" on and meld the seam.

diane

i saw him do it too! it's similar to instructions for covering a cake with marzipan. candy clay isn't stretchy like fondant, so you can't just drape it over and smooth it out. you have to cut out pieces to cover all the sides and then smooth out the seams.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:06pm
post #11 of 19

yeah, not very stretchy icon_smile.gif. the heat from your hands help seal the the seam. he can do just about anything with MC.
isn't he fun to watch live?

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakegore

yeah, not very stretchy icon_smile.gif. the heat from your hands help seal the the seam. he can do just about anything with MC.
isn't he fun to watch live?

omg what a great guy. he's hilarious and an awesome teacher!

Herekittykitty Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:22pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkallred

One more question: When I'm using candy clay for decorations, I use 1/3C Karo, but I saw a recipe that called for 1/2C if you wanted it more pliable. How much Karo do y'all use when you're going to mix it w/ fondant?

I use the regular recipe and mix the rested clay with the MMF. I do find however that it is a little less sticky and greasy if you use older clay - for my last cake the clay was about a month old but a couple of extra days will do it. You have to let the clay rest a min. of 24 hrs before using in any manner.

jlkallred Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:20pm
post #14 of 19

THanks, Herekittykitty! Good to know that the candy clay will last that long, too. I've always wondered about it! I appreciate all the help, ladies!!

Herekittykitty Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:46pm
post #15 of 19

I keep it double wrapped in plastic wrap in a plastic container and in a cubbord.

tal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tal Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 3:15am
post #16 of 19

when you say 50/50 - what exactly would the measurement be? if i make MMF, then how much modeling clay would I incorporate?

Also, do you recommend homemade modeling clay? recipes on CC???

Herekittykitty Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 2:48pm
post #17 of 19

I can't remember where I found my recipe but there is one here on CC that is pretty much the same.

50/50 is equal amounts each. I generally don't use a whole batch of MMF in one sittting just tear off how much I want to use and then mix the same amount of candy clay. I'm big on measuring by weight. So if I use .5lb of MMF i'll use .5lb of candy clay.

HTH.

tal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tal Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 3:03pm
post #18 of 19

thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 3:24pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeter_bug98

I have a couple of cake books that suggest mixing modeling clay with fondant 50/50 and they swear by it. And in those books they use ganache underneath, never buttercream. They are both by European authors, so I am sure that has something to do with it.

Would you mind sharing which books these are? I'm always in the mood to buy new cake books! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%