Best Buttercream That Does Not Have To Be Refrigerated?

Decorating By mookamoo Updated 29 Jul 2010 , 2:28pm by LisaMarie86

mookamoo Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 13

I have been searching the best buttercream icing that can be under a fondant cake and not refrigerated. I see a lot of people asking this on certain recipes but I don't see the answer. Does anyone have a prefrence or link they use that is really yummy?

12 replies
Bskinne Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 13

I believe you will find that answer in a million different places, but basically there is something about the sugar that keeps BC fine to keep out. I personally just use the basic Wilton recipe with Crisco instead butter because of the humidity, butter melts. icon_smile.gif Everyone here always recommends Indydebi's recipe...http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing. I've never tried it but apparently everyone else has, so I would recommend it!

mamawrobin Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 1:14am
post #3 of 13

I use Indydebi's recipe exclusively. It doesn't require refrigeration and will keep for two weeks (at least) at room temperature. What I love about this icing is that it crust really well and it smooths so easily using the viva method. thumbs_up.gif

PiccoloChellie Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 1:37am
post #4 of 13

Sugarshack's if you can get hi-ratio shortening
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/5163/sugarshacks-icing-and-tips

Indydebi's if you can't
http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

Those are the only two I'll use. thumbs_up.gif

LindaF144a Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 1:40am
post #5 of 13

I don't refrigerate any of my buttercreams. Then again, they don't last long either. icon_biggrin.gif

I just remembered that there was a SMBC where I added raspberry puree made from fresh raspberries. After two days the SMBC turned a darker color. I was afraid that it meant it went bad and I ended up dumping the rest of the cake. So when I make that frosting again or any with fresh fruit, I'll probably refrigerate it to be safe.

msulli10 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 1:55am
post #6 of 13

Sugarshack's

sberryp Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 4:08am
post #7 of 13

Does Indyebi BC require whole milk? Will 2% be ok?

mookamoo Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:07am
post #8 of 13

thanks for the tips! icon_biggrin.gif

Postal_Cakemaker Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 10:58am
post #9 of 13

I use 2% in indydebi's and it works fine. thumbs_up.gif

mamawrobin Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 11:58am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberryp

Does Indyebi BC require whole milk? Will 2% be ok?

Yes..as Postal said... it will be fine. The absence of trans fat in Crisco doesn't affect Indydebi's bc recipe like it has the others....the reason is the addition of the Dream Whip which contains hydrogenated vegetable oil.

Postal_Cakemaker Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 1:02pm
post #11 of 13

So I could use regular Crisco in my buttercream since I use a knock off dream whip.

I was wanting to try butter flavor possibly... icon_rolleyes.gif

mamawrobin Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:04pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postal_Cakemaker

So I could use regular Crisco in my buttercream since I use a knock off dream whip.

I was wanting to try butter flavor possibly... icon_rolleyes.gif

Yes..you can assuming the 'knock off' has basically the same ingredients, and it probably does. Do look for hydrogenated vegetable oil on the ingredient label.

From experience the butter flavor Crisco is nasty. Made buttercream with it once and had to toss the entire batch. Seriously nasty.
I would just add butter flavoring instead. thumbs_up.gif

LisaMarie86 Posted 29 Jul 2010 , 2:28pm
post #13 of 13

I like sugarshacks recipe. I have done it with half crisco and half butter and gotten good results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%