Buttercream Refrigeration Question

Decorating By mookamoo Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 10:07pm by PiccoloChellie

mookamoo Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 2

I was wanting to try this buttercream out of a book I got called Cakes To Dream on by Colette peters. It says all the recipes in the book can be left out for a few hours or a day....
The directions say store at room temp for up to a day or refridgerate for up to a week.
It is for a fondant cake that will be left out several days. I am worried If I should use a different kind. This whole book is fondant cakes though.

Here are the ingredients...
1 1/2 cup egg whites at room temp
3 cups sugar
3 pounds unsalted butter (at room temp)
1 tablespoon vanilla ex or other flavoring

combine the egg whites and sugar wisk until well blended. Set the bowl on top of a double boiler (what is a double boiler?)and stir constantly until mixture is hot to touch"
when it cool you add butter and ex.
Does heating it make it safe to stay out. I was worried.

She also has a chocolate ganache that uses heavy cream. You do heat the cream until it starts to boil. and then pour it over the chocolate...Does this make it safe to stay out on the cake?
It says that the ganache can be stored at room temp for 2 days or refrigerated for up to two weeks.

With the buttercream does if it is on the cake under fondant can it be out of the fridge for more than a day?
Do the store at room temp directions mean storing for future use? or if its on a cake can it be left out longer?

Thanks fellow CC'RS

1 reply
PiccoloChellie Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 10:07pm
post #2 of 2

The buttercream does need to be refrigerated, yes, even under fondant.

The ganache can be left at room temp for a couple days. Just be mindful if it's particularly hot and/or humid - you don't want it to melt!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%