Tried A New Bc Today...love It!!!!

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 2 Aug 2010 , 2:25am by Kiddiekakes

Auntie_RaRa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auntie_RaRa Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:20pm
post #31 of 51

I have used this recipe since I started my business 6 years ago. I love it. Many of customers comment on the lightness and not that overly sweet taste of some of the crusting buttercream icings. Growing up, I remove icing from cake, because just to sweet for me and the whole crusting thing was strange to me.

I've tried the all butter recipes, but I must have the strangest taste buds on earth, because I do not like the taste of butter or margarine. I don't put butter on rolls, breads, etc. As long as I can't taste butter, then all is well with the taste buds...lol

I use high ratio and usually use 3/4 cup water and use my paddle instead of whip on my Kitchen Aid. Hot days, I cut butter back to 1 stick. I did a cake in last September that was outdoors and I didn't add any butter to the recipe. Cake was in shade and it held up just fine. I covered myself big time with mom and bride about possible issues with this cake.

Also, sometimes use a warm spatula for smoothing, but be careful with an overly hot one. I've added certain type of fondant decorations on cakes. I won't do swags with this icing...I had a disaster...just to heavy and they fell. Sometimes I put in fridge, but when bring out, house if very cool and don't have condensation issue.

My next item on my "play" list is to use Beth Parvu's powders to color this icing.

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:34pm
post #32 of 51

Thanks, Cutthecake and Veronica.

Okay, I had asked Laurel about the whip or paddle, as I was always told to use the paddle for BC so there isn't much air. She uses the whip and her cakes are really smooth. Good to know you can use either attachment - thanks Veronica for stating you use the paddle.

Yesterday I met a girlfriend for coffee at a local shop. I brought her one of my cuppies with the WBHBC icing for her to try. The owner saw it and was joking around, so I let them have it. My friend hadn't arrived yet so no harm done. Well, they LOVED it and he asked me to come sell my cuppies at their booth at the end of August for a local thing they are doing in my city to kick of a new dog park. This is the icing I'm gonna use. Now to come up with some funky cupcake flavors to WOW the people!

Auntie_RaRa Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:48pm
post #33 of 51

Congrats on your cuppies!! I tried the whip the first few times testing this recipe, but it was just to soft for me to handle. Me with the "what if" mindset, tried using paddle and haven't looked back sense. It is just easier for me to handle the icing using the paddle.

sharonk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonk Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:48pm
post #34 of 51

Where can I find this recipe?

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:51pm
post #35 of 51

On page 1 of this thread...Trixyinaz posted it.

sharonk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharonk Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:01pm
post #36 of 51

Thanks Flourpots.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:17am
post #37 of 51

Here's the Whimsical Bakehouse website. There's lots of interesting stuff. I love the chocolate techniques.

http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/

karabeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karabeal Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:44am
post #38 of 51

AuntieRaRa, do you mean that when you use the paddle attachment to make this recipe that it ends up with a different consistency? A consistency that you find easier to work with? I'm intrigued.

Auntie_RaRa Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 1:56am
post #39 of 51

Yes, I followed the directions using the whip attachment and it was way to soft for me to use. Then I tried using the paddle and there was a difference to me.

edit to add...I keep calling it "whip" attachment and it should be called "whisk"...sorry for any confusion. Also, I don't increase the speed as the directions call for...I keep at 2 or 4 on my Kitchen Aid

fertluv3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fertluv3 Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 3:37am
post #40 of 51

I made this icicng today with the paddle attachment per others advise and it worked really well. This is a great icing for those that like a light fluffy whipped icing or those that don't like it too sweet. Thanks so much for posting the recipe!!!

SillyJacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SillyJacs Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 7:57pm
post #41 of 51

I made this icing today using the whisk attachment. It was the texture of cool whip. Is this correct? I loved the taste. It was a little soft to decorate with but it was ok for today's cupcake project. How long did it take for the water to cool down? What is the texture like when using the paddle attachment? Thanks for your help.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 8:32pm
post #42 of 51

The icing is very soft when first made so it helps to refrigerate it for a few hours to harden up.It only takes about 15 minutes to soften out of the fridge.I make roses etc but the icing has to be really cold or the warmth of your hands tends to melt it.I only leave the slurry in the fridge for about 15 minutes before I add the butter and shortening.It also is a icing that does not need to be refridgerated so in the winter when it is cold here I just leave it on a table in the garage.

SillyJacs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SillyJacs Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 8:35pm
post #43 of 51

Thanks so much for the info. Glad to know it "harden" up a bit. I love the taste. I think I could have ate the whole bowl today.

Kiddiekakes Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 8:41pm
post #44 of 51

SillyJacs..It won't harden....but it will stiffen a bit.It isn't a crusting BC so it stays soft all the time!

karabeal Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 8:58pm
post #45 of 51

Experiments are taking place all around the world with this frosting! I tried it last night with the following changes: paddle attachment, Crisco (instead of hi-ratio shortening) and a slightly reduced amount of Crisco and a corresponding increased amount of butter. It seemed to be perfectly nice and the same as everyone else describes. Then I tried to color it. I wanted a royal blue color (for a night sky on which to put stars). But the coloring wouldn't mix in entirely, and it wouldn't get dark. It's very weird. It looks somewhat like what happens when you put regular gel coloring into candy melts and the coloring just doesn't mix in but stays in the mixture in its own balls of color. The color balls are very small. From the regular distance you would be looking at a cake from, you probably can't tell. But it bothers me because I want it to look completely homogeneous. Is this happening because this is such a high fat recipe and it can't absorb the water-based coloring? Any of the rest of you had a similar experience?

Auntie_RaRa Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 9:31pm
post #46 of 51

When I make this icing, I do not put in fridge before icing my cakes. I tried both paddle and whisk and it easier for me to use paddle. Nice and fluffy.

I have never timed how long I let the mixture cool before adding butter and shortening. I haven't noticed any problems with coloring, but I use Alpine. If I'm not mistaken from what I read about one of the characteristics of hi-ratio is that it takes on color better and more vibrant than Crisco. I just don't use Crisco, because I don't like how it feels in my mouth. All taste buds are not made equal icon_smile.gif

My next experiment it try using powder colors with this icing. I bought some from Sugar Paste (Beth Parvu) awhile ago and since I need to make some icing for tastings this week, this will be the perfect time to play around and check out the results.

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 9:56pm
post #47 of 51

Everyone is describing this frosting as "light and fluffy," which makes me think of whipped cream. Is it like whipped cream?? If not, would someone mind describing it a little differently, if possible? I definitely like a firmer frosting, so if it's like whipped cream, I don't think I'll try it. Thanks!

Vimalai21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vimalai21 Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 9:59pm
post #48 of 51

I have their first book, and in iy it states to use candy colors to tint this buttercream if u dont use high-ratio shortening in order to avoid unblended color. But i've yet to make the buttercream myself. hth

karabeal Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 10:08pm
post #49 of 51

Vimalai21, thank you! I got the recipe off the internet and on the WBH website they talk about issues in coloring this, but aren't that explicit. That makes sense to me.

JohnnyCakes, it is very much like whipped cream, but like the Cool Whip version of whipped cream--it has a little more body than whipped cream and isn't as delicate--but it has a very different consistency from Wilton buttercream, for example. It certainly didn't chill very stiff for me (so no Viva or Melvira method with this!), but I sort of liked working with it. I got a beautifully crist top edge which has always eluded me with crusting buttercreams. I think I will continue experimenting with non-crusting recipes.

Auntie_RaRa Posted 1 Aug 2010 , 11:44pm
post #50 of 51

I tend to think of it as a whipped buttercream which I like. I don't like the traditional crusting buttercream recipes. My ideal texture of buttercream is one that is this one. It's funny when wedding guests or clients think this icing is fondant. They always ask, "how do you get it that smooth". True, there are certain techniques this icing can't handle, i.e. using the diamond impression mats, stencils, etc because it doesn't crust. I also chill before applying fondant to the cakes.

Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Aug 2010 , 2:25am
post #51 of 51

I have no problem coloring my WBH to get vibrant colors...But then again I have been using for 6 years now so I don't know any different.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%