Help Fixing Bc Frosting That Cracked

Decorating By Tinabarena Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 1:46pm by Tinabarena

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 3

HELP! I have been working on 3 cakes this week, and the BC for 2 of the 3 cakes seened to have cracked. I'm pretty new to this, but I have made at least 50 or so cakes with BC and this has never happened so I don't know what I did wrong.

The one cake I was able to cover the crackes up with some other decorations, however, the cake that I have to deliver this afternoon I can't cover with anything. I don't have time to look through the other threads to see if there is a solution.

Does anyone know why this would have happened (maybe it's too humid???). I stopped putting my cakes in the fridge because I read here that it seems to dry the cakes out...was the BC too thin/think?

Is there some way I can fix it? This cake is for family (thank goodness!), but still, I am dreading showing it to the family icon_sad.gif

Suggestions for me would be much appreciated!

2 replies
Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 3

What size cake and what kind of board did you use? Usually BC will crack if there is not enough support for the cake to sit on.

Tinabarena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinabarena Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:46pm
post #3 of 3

I thought about that too...it's an 11x15 cake, with the correspoding board board under the actual cake, and then a larger board (1/2 sheet cake size) that is the decorated board (this was how the Wilton instructor told us to do it). Not sure if I described it right....

I did make the Tom & Jerry fixures and put them on top (at each edge) so I'm wondering if the heaviness of that is making the ends too heavy. I did put a couple dowels under the figures to help with support. It was my first time doing this - and I didn't anticipate that RKT could be that heavy.

But that wouldn't explain the cracking on the other cake, which was a simple dirt bike cake (same size).

I buy the boards from the bake store, and have always used the same ones. I just don't know where I went wrong...maybe too tired and didn't mix the BC enough? **sigh** I'm afraid it could be too many things...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%