Buttercream Was Too Thick And Used It Anyway...suggestions?

Decorating By CharmingChelsea Updated 25 Jul 2010 , 2:20pm by honeyscakes

CharmingChelsea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingChelsea Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:10pm
post #1 of 7

Soooo, I am not even quite a hobby cake baker yet. I know all about making and decorating cookies w/ royal icing, but clearly nothing about icing a cake.

I am trying to make a MMF covered 9in circle cake. I got to the point where I made the buttercream icing with a recipe they gave me at my first wilton cake class (it says it is a type of crusting buttercream). I'm pretty sure that it was too thick. But, it was 1:30 when I started using it and at that point, I just suffered through it and somehow got a layer of icing on the cake and put it in the refrigerator.

So, now I see that I should have added some corn syrup or water to it and thinned it out, but the icing is now on the cake and I don't have time to start all over (oh god, I'm making it for a baby shower a friend is throwing...what was I thinking?!?!)

I am afraid the fondant is not going to stick/smooth out well because of this. Is there anything I can do besides scraping off the icing and starting over with new buttercream?

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 7

Just spritz the bc with a wee mist of water and slap the fondant on there.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:46pm
post #3 of 7

or..

since you put in the fridge, if the humidity is really high there, just take it out and wait a few minutes for condensation to form on the cake.

and then have at it with the fondant.

CharmingChelsea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CharmingChelsea Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks so much for your responses!

One more question......
Do you think the thicker buttercream will make the cake taste/feel dry? I used kakeladi's wasc recipe for the cake and the scraps from leveling and torting it seemed relatively moist (but again, I don't have any experience with cakes!!) and I also used this thick buttercream between the two layers because I was afraid I would really end up with a disaster if I tried to do a filling.....

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 7

doubt it will affect taste in any way.

just sounds like a potential case of sugar shock and little children bouncing off the walls.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 7

Yea, what he ^^^^ said icon_smile.gif

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

doubt it will affect taste in any way.

just sounds like a potential case of sugar shock and little children bouncing off the walls.

bwahhahaahaaha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%