Gumpaste 101

Decorating By AnnieCahill Updated 25 Jul 2010 , 3:06pm by KATE39

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 7:49pm
post #31 of 37

Clay and Wilton fondant taste a lot alike. And yes, you can use just about everything you'd use on clay on sugar paste (fondant) and gum paste. I looked again at the Martha Stewart cake and the branches are real birch. Why not just get some really adorable little non-edible birds too, since the branches aren't edible. That is one gorgeous cake.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 8:03pm
post #32 of 37

If you're in the clay section, pick up a clay extruded gun. You can use it for so much...the one I got was $12 at our local cake store (stuff is usually pricier there) but it came with 20 different tlps for different effects. You probably won't need it for this but it's a lot of fin to use for all sorts of different gumpaste projects!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 10:15pm
post #33 of 37

I was thinking of going with the artificial birds if the gumpaste ones don't work out. I know there are a lot of different birds at Michael's.

I was reading about the clay extruder gun. It sounds like a neat tool. I am going to have to venture out to Michael's when it gets below 100 degrees, LOL.

I ate some Wilton fondant for the first time the other day. I was using it to make some pea pods for a cake I was doing. Man, that stuff is gross. The consistency was nice to work with, and it took color well, but the pinch I ate was gross. My fiance said it was the worst thing he ever ate. LOL!

Apti, thanks for clarifying the branch issue. I wasn't sure if they were real or artificial. There's another cake in that slideshow which is cute too. It's a forest theme, with mushrooms and ferns.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 10:53pm
post #34 of 37

It hurts me to see yet another newbie to a technique think their question is silly. The only silly people are the ones who forgot what it was like to be a newbie, and asked the same question so many years ago.

I'm now always cautious about making figures from sugar pastes, because they can ferment and blow out on you if not completely dried inside. I had a really cool gumpaste dragon blow a hole because the sugar fermented in the center. Now, I make the largest parts over several days, in a few layers, instead of one solid piece of gumpaste, to allow for complete drying in the center.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 11:38pm
post #35 of 37

Thanks for the tip Theresa. I am excited to get started on this but I don't have all the cash right now to fork out for the tools. I'll have to wait until the next coupon and the next pay day!

Sorry to hear about your dragon. He sounds defective though. Shouldn't he be blowing fire and not air? icon_smile.gif

Thanks again for the tip!

Annie

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 11:50pm
post #36 of 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by playingwithsugar

It hurts me to see yet another newbie to a technique think their question is silly. The only silly people are the ones who forgot what it was like to be a newbie, and asked the same question so many years ago.

I'm now always cautious about making figures from sugar pastes, because they can ferment and blow out on you if not completely dried inside. I had a really cool gumpaste dragon blow a hole because the sugar fermented in the center. Now, I make the largest parts over several days, in a few layers, instead of one solid piece of gumpaste, to allow for complete drying in the center.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Poor little exploding dragon. Did you cry when your darling creation blew up? I would have. I never would have known that gumpaste can ferment in the center! Wow, so much knowledge in one place, CC is AWESOME! and all of us newbies LOVE you guys!!!!

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:06pm
post #37 of 37

Thank you for all of your suggestions and inputs. I have to make hibicus flowers and thought I was going to use royal icing to make them. I see now that the way to go is to use gumpaste. I have to make these for a wedding cake in September but I am going to make them for the bridal shower on cupcakes in August for a trial run, so the bride-to-be can see if she approves!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%