Fondant Appearance

Decorating By MariaK38 Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm by BlakesCakes

MariaK38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaK38 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 6:52am
post #1 of 4

hi all! when making fondant accents to go on cakes, cupcakes, etc., mine always seem to come out kind of "cloudy," for lack of a better word. They look like the pwd. sugar I used to roll and cut stayed on the accent, even though I brush it off. And they look dull.
Is there something I can brush on top of the accents to take away the cloudy look? Should I be rolling/cutting with shortening instead?

Thanks!

3 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 7:15am
post #2 of 4

I've used two different methods for removing powdered sugar or cornstarch. I have a hand held clothes steamer that I use to steam my cakes. I've also used a pastry brush with a little Crisco.
You said that you "brush" it off. Try using shortening.

alisapoly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alisapoly Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 4

I've always wondered about the hand steamer since I've have seen them used on TV, especially Cake Boss. Afterwards, is the fondant gummy? How long does it take to dry before it is able to be delivered?

I love the sheen it gives cakes but I was always worried about the aftermath.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaK38

Should I be rolling/cutting with shortening instead?
Thanks!

Yep! Roll on a smear of crisco on a piece of vinyl or silicone mat and you'll have nice bright colors from the get go and nothing to clean up or steam later.

Every cake in my photos was done this way. The ONLY thing I roll on CS is modeling chocolate and Mexican paste.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%