Yellow Cake

Baking By SugarsBakery Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 5:52pm by SugarsBakery

SugarsBakery Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 3:23am
post #1 of 5

Hello,

Im posting to find out what everyones favorite yellow cake is. Im looking for just a basic yellow cake a "go to cake". Something I can use for multiple occasions.

I like my current recipe, but Im looking for something a little moister.

Also, while Ive been researching new recipes, Ive noticed that some people prefer to use shortening rather than butter. What is the reasoning behind that? Is it purely a flavor preference or does it change the texture of the cake.

Here is my current recipe :

Ingredients:
3 cups sifted cake flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1 3/4 cups sugar
2/3 cup butter or margarine
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/4 cups milk

instructions
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom of two 8-inch round cake pans and line with waxed paper or parchment paper. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. Cream sugar and butter together until light. Add eggs and vanilla to creamed mixture and beat until thoroughly mixed. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Continue beating one minute. Spread batter evenly in prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35 minutes.

TIA
-Sugar

4 replies
SweetMarys Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 3:40am
post #2 of 5

Hi, Its funny I have been searching for a good yellow cake recipe too but I used mine but changed it a little, so try this, Add heavy cream instead of milk, or if you like coconut add coconut milk or buttermilk, I found that my cakes are moister and crumb more tender, if your scared try half. And all egg yokes So if it calls for 4 eggs use 8 yokes( I don't always do this bc it wastes egg white but thats up to you) And if you want a nice yellow color add a bit of food color, just did it and when someone asks me for a yellow cake I will do this from now on. Hope this was helpful.
~Sweet Mary

VentureSister Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 5

If you are wanting to make it more moist, try adding two egg yolks. But take out 2 oz. of liquid to balance it out. One of my friends in culinary school suggested this when I asked a similar question. HTH.

SugarsBakery Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks Everyone!!

Sweet Marys: Im going to try the heavy cream substitution tomorrow, do you feel that really makes the difference?

Dawncr: Thanks for the links, the scratch off link was very interesting[/b]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%