Fbct Bleeding While Thawing In The Humidity

Decorating By sheilabelle Updated 25 Jul 2010 , 12:19pm by sheilabelle

sheilabelle Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:50am
post #1 of 4

I have had a stressful day. First - Was making a sheetcake with FBCT. The cake was thawed, I placed on the FBCT, as it started to thaw, the black outline started to bleed. I actually had moisture beeding up on the FBCT. I ended up scraping off the FBCT and placing on an edible image which I had a hard time peeling off of the backing, again due to the humidity (I think).

Next I had a wedding cake. Used sugarshack's BC (I use it all the time) and it wouldn't crust. I ended up moving all of my cakes and my cake tools out to our 5th wheel (which has airconditioning). to finish my cakes. Our camper is completely level so my cakes looked completely cranked (and were unlevel all on their own). I ended up having to place some foamcore under one side so that it was level.

Cakes are done, I am alive and wondering if I want to continue with this passion of mine. icon_cry.gif

If anyone has any ideas as to why the FBCT bleed (I used sugarshack's BC) or why my cake wouldn't crust I would love to hear it.

THanks

3 replies
BRATTYR Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:07am
post #2 of 4

did you put and extra layer of bc (same colour as your cake) under/on top of your design before you put it in the freezer?

handymama Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:21am
post #3 of 4

I'm in Traverse City, and the humidity today was wretched. If yours was anything like ours then your FBCT condensed moisture out of the air onto it as it warmed up. Covering it with plastic wrap until it was room temp. should have solved the problem. Are you using hi-ratio shortening--or at least one with transfats-- for Sharon's recipe? If not, then my guess is that's the problem. Also, there's a high-humidity BC recipe here on CC that held up for me in 100 degree weather, outside, in the sun all afternoon for a grad party. Might want to try that one in beastly weather. hth

sheilabelle Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 4

I did put an extra layer of BC, the same as on top of the cake, on the back of the FBCT.

I never thought about the plastic wrap. Would that stick to the BC as it thaws and make a mess when you pull it away?

For Sharon's recipe, I use shortening with transfat in it. I'm putting it down to the very high humidity.

Don't know if I will try another FBCT in the summer. It was such a waste. I put in the time to make it awesome and had to scrape it all off. icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%