Cake Baking

Decorating By heartz81 Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 5:50am by kakeladi

heartz81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartz81 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:01am
post #1 of 6

I am making my first three tier cake. I put them all in the oven and it took one hour and a half to bake. I pulled the 6" and 8" out at the same time and the 10" needed an extra few minutes. Has it ever taken anyone that long to bake? My oven was set to 325 Im worried I may have over cooked...I checked them for doneness at about an hour and they weren't ready. Please advise.

5 replies
nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:27am
post #2 of 6

That does sound like a long time. Are your cakes two layers? Did you have 6 cake pans in the oven or just three. If there were six then you probably had the oven overcrowded. Could be the same problem with just three depeding on the size of oven. It really sounds like you should invest in a good oven thermometer too though. Hope everything works out well!

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:13am
post #3 of 6

How deep are your pans? Was there adequate room around them in the oven? I agree with nana_marta that it would be good to check the actual oven temperature.

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:21am
post #4 of 6

I can bake a 6 inch cake (2 inches tall) at 325 in about 40 minutes. An hour and a half seems way too long.

elvisb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elvisb Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:35am
post #5 of 6

I usually bake at 350 degrees, and a 6 inch takes 35 minutes. A 3" tall 6 inch will take about 45 minutes, but it's deeper so there's more cake to bake. When I have multiple cakes in the oven, I make sure there is 2-3 inches between each pan, and fill only one rack. That way the heat can circulate.

I would agree to check with an oven thermometer. I have two ovens and both of them are off. For the thermometer to be at 350, one oven has to be set at 375 and the other at 385. I've also been told that a good tattle tale sign of an oven that's too cool is a sinkhole in the middle of your cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 5:50am
post #6 of 6

As the others have suggested it does sound like your oven is running lower them temp you are setting it at.
Yes, the more you put into the oven the longer it will take. For you it might well have been a combination of both icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%