Boxed Cake Mix Acceptable In Shops?

Baking By butterflygrooves Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 2:00am by sberryp

butterflygrooves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflygrooves Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:50am
post #1 of 11

Does anyone use boxed cake mix for the cupcakes they sell in a retail store?

I am getting ready to open up shop and people keep asking if my cupcakes are going to be from scratch. Duh, of course they are, I'm not a DH or BC store.

icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:08am
post #2 of 11

The very popular bakery I worked for used Betty Crocker cake mixes for their French Vanilla, Lemon and Strawberry cakes. She enhanced them with Cream Bouquet emulsion. We would buy tons of boxes and take the mixes out of the box and put them in bins and throw away the boxes. They were consistently delicious. She made other cakes like her chocolate, carrot, red velvet, Italian cream and others by scratch. By far her most popular cake for weddings was the French Vanilla. People love it. I use it and no one--not even cake 'purists' can tell it's from a box. The cream bouquet makes all the difference.

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:12am
post #3 of 11

Oh please, do not go here.
Search for this on CC. It has been talked about a lot, and it can get pretty heated.

Not picking on you, just letting you know what is going to come.

butterflygrooves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflygrooves Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:22am
post #4 of 11

I was just wondering, I don't have anything against anyone who uses boxed mixes, I didn't think it was a common thing though.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:28am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

The very popular bakery I worked for used Betty Crocker cake mixes for their French Vanilla, Lemon and Strawberry cakes. She enhanced them with Cream Bouquet emulsion. We would buy tons of boxes and take the mixes out of the box and put them in bins and throw away the boxes. They were consistently delicious. She made other cakes like her chocolate, carrot, red velvet, Italian cream and others by scratch. By far her most popular cake for weddings was the French Vanilla. People love it. I use it and no one--not even cake 'purists' can tell it's from a box. The cream bouquet makes all the difference.

ok carmijok, I am intrigued. I would love all the details on the french vanilla BC mix- how much creme bouquet? any other ingredients? I would LOVE to get an awesome vanilla cake recipe & have an order for next weekend for one so I can try it out! TIA

cr8zchpr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cr8zchpr Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:35am
post #6 of 11

uuummmm, I may sound dumb, but once you took the mix out of the boxes how did you know what amount of the add ins, (egg, oil, water..) went with how much mix. Just asking and I was wondering the same thing myself do formal shops use box mixes or do the manufacturers sell in larger quantities to bakeries, just wondering.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:36am
post #7 of 11

Well, since you are in CA like me, I can only tell you in OC, the best known shops make them from scratch - cupcakes that is. And they let you know they are from scratch and charge accordingly.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:39am
post #8 of 11

I would assume the high-end shops that charge accordingly will mainly bake from scratch (see Let Them Eat Cake's website), but I know some bakeries also use mixes

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:42am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflygrooves

I was just wondering, I don't have anything against anyone who uses boxed mixes, I didn't think it was a common thing though.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. It is just that I have gotten into discussions on here about that. I bake my cakes and cupcakes (and cookies too) from scratch and I am a hobby baker. I was quite surprised to find out mixes are used in bakeries. BUT as others will tell you there is a product that is a professional mix used by many bakeries. And given the amount of cakes they make in a day I can see why it would need to be used.

All I know is if I ever do open a bakery (and after a full day of baking in my kitchen all day, I am beginning to question the sanity of that thought right now. I am exhausted! icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif ) I will definitely bake from scratch.

cheriej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheriej Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:43am
post #10 of 11

The "cupcake only" stores like Sprinkles, French's, Suzy Cakes - there are a lot in CA and they make them from scratch.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:00am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

What is cream bouquet? I really don't understand why bakeries would use box cakes. I always bake from scratch... just think that it taste better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%