Is A Center Dowel Needed In A 2-Tier Cake?

Decorating By heddahope Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 12:34am by sberryp

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 10

I have never used a center dowel (no big cakes), but I usually deliver my cakes to my friends. I have to do a cake for the 7th but I have to bring it to her house and then she has to travel like 45min. to the destination. Should I put a center dowel?

I figured as long as they don't drive crazy, which I will explain, they should be fine.

Anyone's opinions are greatly appreciated.

Oh it is going to be a 10in. and 6in. TIA

9 replies
Occther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Occther Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 10

If someone else has to transport the cake, I definitely dowel. For two tier cakes, I have discovered longer bamboo/wooden kabob skewers available at my local grocery store (Krogers) work great. They are cheap - and definitely food safe.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 10

You can...I usually don't a two tiered cake. Heck...I don't always use them in a three tiered.

I also use the wooden bbq skewers. They already have a sharpened end and they are much skinnier than a dowel. They're also very inexpensive. I paid $1.99 for 100 of them.

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:00pm
post #4 of 10

I use a dowel all the time! I tried a wooden skewer, but it wouldn't make it through the boards. I will dowel anything and everything for now on because once I had a cake slide and friend called me and told me that it didn't make the deliver. To keep it short, just dowel it.

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you so much for the advice.

To make sure I am understanding correctly, I just sharpen it and lightly hammer it through the cakeboards?

Should it go through easily? I just keep picturing the boards bending inward?

Thanks again!

Donnawb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnawb Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 10

The weight of the cake and/or cardboard cake circle isn't too much weight for the skewer to break if the cake tries to slide or move?

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberryp

I use a dowel all the time! I tried a wooden skewer, but it wouldn't make it through the boards. I will dowel anything and everything for now on because once I had a cake slide and friend called me and told me that it didn't make the deliver. To keep it short, just dowel it.

I deliver EVERY cake that I make. If I didn't deliver I would certainly use them on every cake that I made. Wonder why the skewer wouldn't make it thru the boards? icon_confused.gif That's odd...you'd think something that small and sharp would go thru them alot easier than something larger than a pencil....I've never had any trouble using them. I hammer that sucker in in just a matter of seconds. thumbs_up.gif

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 10

i've used kabob skewers before too. it made it through a (single layer) cardboard cake board just fine.

mamawrobin Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:14am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnawb

The weight of the cake and/or cardboard cake circle isn't too much weight for the skewer to break if the cake tries to slide or move?

If the cake slides or moves that much I'd think the skewer would be the least of your worries. I've never had any issues using them thumbs_up.gif

sberryp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sberryp Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:34am
post #10 of 10

I don't know why they didn't work for me. I had them left over so I tired them and they didn't work. Maybe the ones I had were too thin. I found the dowels at walmart for 50 cents. On clearance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%