Designs On Just Sides Of Cake?

Decorating By TexasSugar Updated 28 Jul 2010 , 2:37pm by DianeLM

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 6

Okay so Im in the process of working out the details of my dummy cakes for the convention. Id say there is nothing like the last minute, but since Im actually planning on working on them this weekend and in the past have waited until the week of the convention, this is actually early for me.

I am planning on piping or painting a swirly scroll like pattern up the side of the cake. The pattern will start in a central location and move up and away from there.

My debate is
Do I pipe/paint the design only on the sides of the cake working my way up where each tier picks up the design?
-or-
Do I pipe/paint the design up the side, along the top of the tier, and then up the next one?

On one hand Im thinking if I pipe this design up the side, along the top edge then up it will make it look very busy. On the other hand, Im worried about a disconnect from one tier to the other.

Does one look better than the other? Do you have a preference of which you like better?

5 replies
minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:47pm
post #2 of 6

How about this. Pipe the sides then have the tops of the tiers in a matching color?

TexasSugar Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 6

Coloring the tops a different color is an idea. There will only an inch showing all the way around, so I'm not sure that is enough to really matter one way or another. I'm probably over thinking it at the moment. I have a habit of that. icon_smile.gif

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 11:14am
post #4 of 6

I don't think so. All stencil can get a bit busy. Go with your gut, GF!

TexasSugar Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 6

Oh but my gut keeps changing its mind. icon_wink.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 Jul 2010 , 2:37pm
post #6 of 6

Why not do a practice run? Stack up your dummies and do a little piping just on the sides. See how you like it. Then, fill in the tops and see if you like that better. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%