Pastry Filling Sleeves ??? ...

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 2 Jul 2015 , 1:48pm by Cinnabear14

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 15

Hi Cakers!!

I am getting tired of the same ole' Butter cream fillings... =) I would like to try these Pastry Sleeves that I have seen mentioned on here.

The ones that I have ordered are coming from Henry & Henry. Are these fillings going to soak through my cake? Should I place a thin layer of BC icing down first and then fill with the fillings? I normally use a stiff dam when using BC; I assume this will not change either.

Any tips are appreciated.

BTW...I ordered the Bavarian Cream and Red Raspberry fillings...

Thank you in advance
Michael

14 replies
dchockeyguy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dchockeyguy Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 15

You shouldn't have a problem with it soaking through, at least not in my experience. I often add them into the buttercream though, just to have a thicker filling (and I often dont' think the fillings taste good on their own)

Mikel79 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 15

dchockeyguy...

That is a good idea about mixing it with BC. I will have to give it a try.

Thanks,
Michael

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:52pm
post #4 of 15

in my experience with both, neither soaked in.

(tho' I was severely tempted to open both and just squirt directly into mouth!)

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 15

ugh! those sleeve fillings.. I am NEVER using those again! I used Strawberry filling and it seeped through my fondant dam ... then I crumb coated the cake with THICK layer of chocolate Ganache...and yet it still poked through the fondant,ganache and eventually my buttercream!!! ON A WHITE CAKE!!! icon_redface.gif I had to re bake the 6" tier layers again the night before the wedding because it did soak through the cake!! ugh!
I LOVE the idea of mixing it in with buttercream! perhaps I should do that icon_biggrin.gif
THANK YOU dchockeyguy and GOD BLESS YOU FOR YOUR SUGGESTION! thumbs_up.gif
- h

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

a man after my own heart. icon_lol.gif

Mikel79 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:05pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyscakes

ugh! those sleeve fillings.. I am NEVER using those again! I used Strawberry filling and it seeped through my fondant dam ... then I crumb coated the cake with THICK layer of chocolate Ganache...and yet it still poked through the fondant,ganache and eventually my buttercream!!! ON A WHITE CAKE!!! icon_redface.gif I had to re bake the 6" tier layers again the night before the wedding because it did soak through the cake!! ugh!
I LOVE the idea of mixing it in with buttercream! perhaps I should do that icon_biggrin.gif
THANK YOU dchockeyguy and GOD BLESS YOU FOR YOUR SUGGESTION! thumbs_up.gif
- h

This sounds horrible!! Did you use a very stiff bc dam? I don't know what you mean by fondant dam?

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

That is a temptation indeed!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:13pm
post #9 of 15

I've only used the red raspberry, but I've never had a problem where it seeped through my damn, nor have I had an issue with any of the layers sliding.

In fact, when I had to take an unstacked wedding cake to MN (9-hour drive) I was nervous that the tier with the raspberry filling would have some slipping on the layers, or seepage. Nope, not a problem.

I'd just experiment, get an idea of how much to put in a layer (I don't measure, but I imagine my depth of that filling is around 1/8th of an inch, so not much).

Good luck!!!

Mama_Mias_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mama_Mias_Cakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:25pm
post #10 of 15

I use them all the time as I cannot sell perishable fillings. I have used at least 6 different kinds. I didn't mix them up with BC, but may give that a try. I have not had a problem soaking at all.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:03am
post #11 of 15

I use them and have never had a problem with them soaking through. I use a good thick bc dam! Works great!

Mikel79 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:10am
post #12 of 15

Thanks for all the replies!! This makes me feel more at ease with the fillings!

Michael

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:34pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikel79

This sounds horrible!! Did you use a very stiff bc dam? I don't know what you mean by fondant dam?

sometimes...when my hands ache and I am lazy I just use a fondant rope..to make the dam.that usually helps a great deal... but not on this one! ugh

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 6:56pm
post #14 of 15

I love the Henry and Henry fillings. My favorite is the lemon one. I would not recommend putting buttercream down first and then topping it off with the filling. I have done this and it caused the top layer to slide (even when using a thick dam). The fillings have never soaked into any cake I have made. And they are great mixed with buttercream frosting.

Cinnabear14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cinnabear14 Posted 2 Jul 2015 , 1:48pm
post #15 of 15

Ok, here is where my newbie-ness kicks in. What is a Pastry sleeve and how does one use it? I am making 2 sheet cakes for a July 4th birthday (one with a homemade strawberry filling) and I am now curiouser and curiouser.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%