I Am Mean And Horrible.. But I Couldnt Resist, Really!!

Decorating By tesso Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 12:49am by carmijok

tesso Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:01pm
post #1 of 22

At work today, lady comes up to me and says, "you do cakes, right? My sister wanted a 3D darth vader cake for my nephew, and this lady told her it would be 80 dollars. That's is just ridiculous. How much would you charge?"

I stared at her a moment, then said, "only 80? that is a steal, I would charge you $150.

Then she says... But it was only for a 6 year old !!

I replied, OH!! okay, so we only charge cake by age.. say 10 dollars per every five years.. his cake would be $11 and then your birthday cake would be about..what.. $450 to $500?

She turned around and walked away.. icon_biggrin.gificon_twisted.gificon_lol.gificon_twisted.gificon_biggrin.gif

Score one for the cake bakers !!! icon_biggrin.gif

21 replies
cakesdivine Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 22

Love it! HA!

Kiddiekakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 22

HA!HA! Good for you...Cake Muggles....

Sparklekat6 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 22

Oh I would have done it for 80 dollars but it would have been about 5 inches high and 4 inches wide. Well he's only 6! icon_wink.gif~

Doug Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 22

that is soooo mean! and deserved! LOL!

cakes47 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 22

OMG!!! That is hysterical ~ icon_lol.gif

stacycake Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:47pm
post #7 of 22

I have been asked that same question "do I make cakes" while standing right in the middle of the bakery...

You gave her the best answer. She deserved it! I think some customers dont realize how much time and work go into creating their cakes. thumbs_up.gif

thatslifeca Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:49pm
post #8 of 22

OMG icon_eek.gif LMAO .......YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!! tapedshut.gif What I mean is......nope can't do it......it's a LMAO moment, wish I was there!!!!!

foodguy Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 22

Sorry, I'm old, but I just don't see the humor in this situation.

A potential customer is surprized to find out the price of a cake (perhaps she hasn't ordered one in a while) and that gives you license to be rude and condescending to her?

Do you think that she'll stop there? Everyone within earshot will now hear not only how expensive your cakes are but also how rude you were.

Kindness travels a greater distance-always..... and especially in business.

honeyscakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 9:07pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

that is soooo mean! and deserved! LOL!

RIGHT ON!!!!
BUT!!! I do understand foodguy's point too..
i think it is a thin line...we get so tired of all the bargaining people do when they want a "The Knot" magazine cake and want to pay Walmart prices!
It is very difficult to stay positive and kind all the time,ya know!
- h

tesso Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 9:08pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodguy

Sorry, I'm old, but I just don't see the humor in this situation.

A potential customer is surprized to find out the price of a cake (perhaps she hasn't ordered one in a while) and that gives you license to be rude and condescending to her?

Do you think that she'll stop there? Everyone within earshot will now hear not only how expensive your cakes are but also how rude you were.

Kindness travels a greater distance-always..... and especially in business.

Rest easy, I am basically a hobby baker. No one was around to hear our discussion ( i do have tact) but when someone is six inches from my face and hollers "but it is only for a 6 years old" like it is all my fault. I will respond, sometimes not nicely. I am human. It was the first thing that came out of my mouth. And I know this woman, and she complains about the cost of walmart cupcakes! and therefore, would NEVER be a client of mine.

So rest easy, and dont give it another thought. icon_wink.gif

edited to add, this lady is only 36. I used the age thing to make my point.

LisaMarie86 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 9:11pm
post #12 of 22

I think this was rude but well deserved. You told her your price and she wouldnt take it for an answer. Who cares how old the person is its still going to cost the same.

Katiebelle74 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 9:18pm
post #13 of 22

LOL. I love it. Makes me feel better!! I am not keeping good control of my cake responses today. I get these emails and calls....ya'll know what I mean....I want a square wedding cake for 200 people delivered an hour away from you I need to come in for a tasting TOMORROW because we are only in town for a day... ok, ok work them into my hectic day then they tell me their budget for the cake is $350.00. Ok so after 100.00 delivery fee that equals 1.50 per person sorry my cakes are 4.00 per person.

Then I get an email from someone else.... I am out of state want a german chocolate cake delivered to my boyfriends house for his birthday. Do you deliver?

so of course I ask... when is his birthday? and where is his house?

then she doesn't want to give me his address.

what the heck? I can't quote you a delivery fee without an address. Then complains that I did not give her enough design ideas.

Like I want to type up tons of design ideas for her to turn around and say the delivery is going to be HOW MUCH? oh no nevermind.

BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

3GCakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 9:29pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

At work today, lady comes up to me and says, "you do cakes, right? My sister wanted a 3D darth vader cake for my nephew, and this lady told her it would be 80 dollars. That's is just ridiculous. How much would you charge?"

I stared at her a moment, then said, "only 80? that is a steal, I would charge you $150.

Then she says... But it was only for a 6 year old !!

I replied, OH!! okay, so we only charge cake by age.. say 10 dollars per every five years.. his cake would be $11 and then your birthday cake would be about..what.. $450 to $500?

She turned around and walked away.. icon_biggrin.gificon_twisted.gificon_lol.gificon_twisted.gificon_biggrin.gif

Score one for the cake bakers !!! icon_biggrin.gif

I've had two people ask me to do my Darth Vader cake for them...before I even get to the point of a copyright issue (the one I did was for my son), they offer the most dreaded line in the custom cake world: "We usually get our cakes at Sams, but we hear you make great cakes".

You can probably figure out where the conversation went from there.

I don't think you were rude or condescending. I think the other lady was pretty presumptuous.

babykonst Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 9:32pm
post #15 of 22

cake bakers 1-general public 0 !!!!!

mom2twogrlz Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 9:33pm
post #16 of 22

I love it!!!

sabre Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 9:35pm
post #17 of 22

Funniest post ever...you go girlfriend!

funcakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:03pm
post #18 of 22

Okay, I thought it was really funny, but I have a quirky sense of humor.

Yes, kindness goes a long, long way. We all read what was written and had different takes on it. I think if we were there, we would have heard the tone of voice and then come away with the same reaction. We kid around a lot at work. If I printed here the things my coworkers said about and to me many of you would think I worked with the meanest, rude people ever. That is the exact opposite from what they are like. I think this was funny, meant to be funny and probably taken that way. JMHO

cheatize Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:12am
post #19 of 22

He's may be only 6 but how many other 6 year old are gonna bawl when the "cake" consists of one cupcake with Darth Vader pick that only the birthday boy gets to eat?

Maybe she meant, "Holy Schmoly! If I spend that much when he's just six, how much am I gonna have to spend when he's 16?" After all, some parents feel the need to top last year's party every year. Eh, probably not.

indydebi Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:31am
post #20 of 22

I don't believe in rewarding stupidity. What in the world does his AGE have to do with anything? icon_confused.gif If "he's only six!" was a factor, then she'd be buying some cheap-a$$ cupcakes because holy crap, "he's only six!"

She was rude and stupid for exclaiming his age as justification for not paying full price for a cake.

As I age, I am finding that "old people" are not cranky and cantankerous just because they (we) are naturally "mean". It's because we've had it up to here, thru 5 or 6 decades of dealing with stupidity, and we're just not dealing with it anymore.

I loved the response and am insanely jealous that I didn't get to use it first! thumbs_up.gif

neelycharmed Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:44am
post #21 of 22

So glad you were that fast responding to her... I would have thought of it later on in the evening... too little, too late... lol
Jodi

carmijok Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:49am
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

As I age, I am finding that "old people" are not cranky and cantankerous just because they (we) are naturally "mean". It's because we've had it up to here, thru 5 or 6 decades of dealing with stupidity, and we're just not dealing with it anymore.

Oh my goodness, truer words were never spoken!! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%