Gumpaste & Fondant Accents On Buttercream

Decorating By jess605 Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 1:32am by nana_marta

jess605 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess605 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 4

I'm making a cake for my son's first bday party. I'd like to frost it with buttercream, but I have gumpaste puppies and other gumpaste and fondant accents I want to put on the cake. Is it possible to use these together or will the buttercream soften and ruin the gumpaste and fondant puppies and accents?

I was sort of thinking of covering the top of the top tier (not the sides) with green fondant and making green grass around the edge of the fondant, then placing the gumpaste puppies and accents only on that fondant piece. Would this work better?

Any suggestions are welcome. THanks!!

3 replies
Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 4

Hi jesse

Sure you can put gumpaste flowers and decorations on BC I did that in my Christmas cake. The gumpaste will soften after a day or two but they still look good and if you are planning on putting a fondant mat underneath they should be fine on top of that. Good luck and don't forget to post a picture.

jess605 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess605 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 4

THanks for the info! What is a good no fail buttercream recipe and should I use a crusting buttercream if I'm going to attach decorations to it? Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

nana_marta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana_marta Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 1:32am
post #4 of 4

At this point I only ice in buttercream and use fondant/gumpaste accents on all my cakes with no problem. As Rusti said, they would start drooping and turning soft after a few days, but the cake surely will be devoured by then! There are scads of good recipes here on CC. I think a crusting buttercream is the only way to go. Keep us posted, and good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%