If you have one, where did you get it?

13 replies
hollys_hobby Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 14

I have seen one on
here is the link:

dguerrant Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 14

not sure where to find one, but i had to get a leather effect and used plastic wrap. I sprayed the fondat with pam, placed the plastic ontop and wrinkled it up and pressed it into the fondant with my rolling pin, then peeled the plastic off. i did that for a couple of book cakes.

marcx Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 14

I've often wonder where to get these as well!

I've tried drying out the fondant to get some 'elephant skin' going, then painting over it to get the leather look, but that's much too difficult and time consuming, not to mention kind of sloppy looking. Now, another option is Duff Goldman's texture tiles they carry at Michael's. One of them has a cool cobblestone effect and I've used it to do a black patent, croc leather finish to a fondant pocketbook and gumpaste shoes.

Dreme Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 14

I used a crocodile mat that they had at country kitchen sweetart. It was a large sized sheet that only cost a couple of bucks.

awatterson Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I saw the one at and I couldn't believe that some of the other places didn't have one.

cakecookie6 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 1:27am
post #7 of 14 A leather mat is found in this neat fabric texture sheet set.

cakecookie6 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 1:28am
post #8 of 14 A leather mat is found in this neat fabric texture sheet set.

awatterson Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 10:17am
post #9 of 14

Thanks cakecookie6. I love Country Kitchen and that is where I wanted to get one from. I was also looking at the alligator impression mat, but I might get all of those ones instead.

grandmaruth Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 12:22pm
post #10 of 14

what a coincidence that this question came up...i am doing a "case" that will hold a gumpaste trombone for a graduation cake...i wonder if crumpled up aluminum foil will work....crumple, flatten out and roll ove fondant....i am going to try it in a few hrs...will let you know icon_rolleyes.gif

awatterson Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:08am
post #11 of 14

Keep me posted grandmaruth. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

cattycornercakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 12:21am
post #12 of 14

I would think crumpled wax paper would give you the best effect. I think the aluminum foil would be too rigid. Just my opinion icon_smile.gif

grandmaruth Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 9:01am
post #13 of 14

aluminum foil seemed to work!! wad it up into a ball then flatten it out...i ran the rolling pin over it several times and it still left impressions....yeaaaaaa!

Cookingkimber Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 10:50am
post #14 of 14

I saw last night on food network challege that they used a blow torch on the fondant that created a bit of a skin on the fondant and when they moved it the fondant had little cracks and seams in it. it looked just like leather. good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%