Easy Cake Recipes From Scratch?

Baking By lildivadesi Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 7:05pm by lildivadesi

lildivadesi Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 7

OK so normally I just buy box mixes (well my mom buys them, lol) and make my cakes. So yesterday I tried my first cake from scratch using a recipe I got online. I will be trying it later to see if it tastes ok, lol. But I was wondering if you all had any easy recipes from scratch I could try. Thanks

6 replies
brincess_b Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 7

Victoria, maderia and pound cake are all easy - remember with scratch baking it's a lot to do with the technique icon_smile.gif
xx

lildivadesi Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:36pm
post #3 of 7

ok thanks.
other than those what are some other flavors you like? i know there are alot of different flavors but when I try to think of some different ones I can only think of the main few, vanilla, chocolate, carrot, red velvet.

MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 7

Hi! The key to scratch baking (to me anyway) is following each step. Example, if it says to cream the butter until light and fluffy, that one single step could take several minutes (where some people may say "I've waited long enough, looks good to me" and move on. Especially if they are used to box mixes which can be whipped up and in the oven often quicker than the time it takes to do step one of a scratch cake.

If you're looking for relatively fool-proof recipes, I'd say carrot cake and banana cake are two that tend to be forgiving and come out moist. I have also made sweet potato cake that was very moist. But definitely try many different recipe flavors! Make them for family and friends and see what your specialty is! icon_wink.gif

Best of luck to you!!!! And welcome to the wonderful world of scratch baking! icon_smile.gif

lildivadesi Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks.
Do you all know a website that has good recipes for cakes? The cake I made today was a yellow cake. I was thinking of maybe trying a carrot cake with cream cheese icing. Do you all know any good recipes for that?

hollyml Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 7

My mainstay is devil's food, but there are bazillions of possible cake flavors. I've done cola, cinnamon walnut, nutmeg, maple, mocha, coconut, white chocolate, lemon, orange, applesauce, pumpkin, blueberry....many different variations on chocolate...probably others I'm not remembering off the top of my head.

The more different kinds you try, the easier it gets to experiment with different flavors and adapt your favorite recipes, if you're interested in doing that.

But to start, there's nothing wrong with sticking with basic chocolate, white, yellow. icon_smile.gif There's a recipes page here on CC; you can also try looking for recipes with "easy" or "simple" in the name on a site like allrecipes.com where there are user reviews. Pick something that gets good ratings, and read through the reviews for an idea of how people modified the recipe and what they liked or didn't like about their result (because people do have different preferences -- if a bad review includes the comment that the cake was dense, but you LIKE dense cake, then the bad review shouldn't put you off, yk?)

lildivadesi Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 7

Ok thanks. I think I am going to start looking for more recipes and start finding my favorite of the basic flavors, yellow, chocolate, and white. Then maybe try carrot cake, and then maybe a few others.
I have nothing against using box mixes, but to me, from the cake i made yesterday, scratch is more fun and it makes me feel like I am actually doing more than just adding an ingredient or two and then I am done. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%