Rolling Fondant Question

Decorating By CorCorCakes Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 4:11pm by CorCorCakes

CorCorCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CorCorCakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 15

Sooo, I am new to cake decorating and am slowly gathering tools and learning as i go. I have heard of people using pvc pipe as a rolling pin, what are your opinions on that? It is definitely cheaper. Also, some directions for rolling out fondant say to use powder sugar to prevent sticking to table, while others say cornstarch or shortening. Is one better than the other or are they all ok? Thanks so much!

14 replies
xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 15

Hello!
I use the pvc pipe. The only downside of it is that it's not heavy and you have to use some muscle to roll big thick pieces.
Just make sure you clean it really really well.
I use corn starch or p sugar, wathever I have at hand, and they work just fine. The only trick I can give you is to turn yor fondant after a few rolls to make sure it is not sticking to your working surface.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorCorCakes

... Also, some directions for rolling out fondant say to use powder sugar to prevent sticking to table, while others say cornstarch or shortening. Is one better than the other or are they all ok? Thanks so much!

You'll get a different opinion on this question from everybody you ask. That's because there are so many variables that change from baker to baker. It depends on which fondant you use, how dry you make/use it, what your counter's made of, how thin you like it and any different combination of all these and more variables.

They all work under the right combination of circumstances. Yet some folks will love one method and others will say they have nothing but disasters with that same method.

My advice is to try them all and see what works for you. I ended up settling on rolling with the long white Wilton pin on my counter witha generous mixture of 50/50 PS & CS. I roll the finished sheet up on the rolling pin and then unroll it onto the cake. It works effortlessly and perfectly for me every time.

Others have had problems with this method and recommend rolling with crisco which ahs always been a disaster for me. Again, probably due to the different variables. So experiment. HTH

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 15

I have actually tried a piece of PVC before and it was horrible to control how hard to push down so it would roll evenly without a bunch of "hills". ??? I preferre a regular normal rolling pin. They have some really nice silicone and fancy $$$ one's but I don't see where I really need that. I also use powderd sugar. I've never tried cornstarch before?? I would think that using shortening would make it stick way more! You do need to have a completely smooth surface. I have the counter top type that has little tiny divits in it (Wilsonart HD) and there is no way I can roll fondant out on it. I have a large separate island that has a solid wood top surface that's smooth as glass that I use. I would suggest you to use a normal rolling pin and try the different sugar/cornstarch/shortening to get a better idea. But as for "just starting out" I wouldn't go buy too much expensive rolling pins when a normal one will work for now.

hollys_hobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollys_hobby Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 15

I have found that the only thing that works well for me to prevent sticking is Cornstarch!! I may use a little shortening when kneading the fondant, but for rolling, ONLY cornstarch!
As far as the rolling pin goes, I have the large wilton one and really like it, but I have not tried anything else to compare.

ramie7224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ramie7224 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 15

I use PVC pipe to roll. I have different lengths and thicknesses depending on how large a piece of fondant I need. I've tried using shortening to roll it out, but PS or cornstarch seem to work better for me.

LuluSweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LuluSweetArt Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 15

I agree with the others...it will really come down to what works best for you, and things like the weather where you are and the type of fondant you're using will make a difference. I like to add crisco to my fondant while I am kneading it to make it softer and more pliable, but I use cornstarch on my counter and pin to keep it from sticking. I use the Wilton fondant rolling pin and have never tried the pvc, but I would assume that the lack of weight in the roller would complicate things. But like I said, often in this weird world of sugar it all comes down to trial and error. You just need to find what works best for you. Not very helpful, I know...but it really is the best advice. There is no one right way. Good Luck!

samarinbooboo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samarinbooboo Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 15

I use the wilton rolling pin bigger and smaller ones depending on the job and I never use ps. Just constarch. If I need to microwave my fondant I will and use some shortening to get it to be not so dry.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 2:33am
post #9 of 15

I use an aluminum rolling pin (I think it is16" or 20"). I have tried others and I personally find that this one makes the job easier. I also prefer to use a mixture of conrstarch and powdered sugar to prevent sticking.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 3:08am
post #10 of 15

I just can't be bothered rolling fondant on cornstarch or powdered sugar or a combo of the 2. For me, it's just another mess to clean up in the kitchen and then on the cake later.

I roll on a piece of heavy duty vinyl (about $2 at WalMart in the craft/sewing dept.) with a smear of crisco on it. It DOES NOT make the fondant stick more. It acually allows the fondant to stretch and glide easily, making light work of rolling even big pieces of fondant.

I use the long Wilton vinyl pin. After the piece is rolled out, I pick up the fondant with the pin, allowing it to drape over the pin at the middle of the fondant piece. I line up the back bottom edge with the front edge of the cake and drape it over.

I have no issues with drying out, getting sticky, elephant skin, whatever. I find that I replace the vinyl piece (I have it taped with packing tape to a dedicated section of my island counter) about once a year. I don't cut on it using knives, but I cut fondant using a non-stick plastic pizza cutter and it holds up great.

HTH
Rae

katiemarie718 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiemarie718 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:10am
post #11 of 15

I use a paula dean french rolling pin. the only think I don't like about it is that if you don't have enough ps or cornstarch to keep it form sticking the wood grain can pull on the fondant. but other than that it works really well.

lovenintheoven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovenintheoven Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:21am
post #12 of 15

one thing i tink about...i only use powdered sugar, cause cornstarch leaves a very undesirable taste.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:11pm
post #13 of 15

See what I mean...

Chris6703 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chris6703 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 12:44pm
post #14 of 15

Blakescakes is right about the VINYL from Wal-Mart....cannot live without it, best $2.50 I ever spent !!

CorCorCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CorCorCakes Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 4:11pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks everybody! All your input is greatly appreciated! Gonna start trying things out tomorrowicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%