Ganache

Decorating By Redsoxbaker Updated 26 Jul 2010 , 4:50pm by funcakes

Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 14

If I'm using chocolate ganache as a filling, does this need to be refrigerated? I'm trying to use fillings that I can leave out overnight!

13 replies
Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:20am
post #2 of 14

According to Colette Peters, ganache can sit out. I trust her. icon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 2:31am
post #3 of 14

yup it can sit out.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:16am
post #4 of 14

I also trust Collette...I don't refrigerate mine either thumbs_up.gif

cupcakeqt72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeqt72 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 3:32am
post #5 of 14

Does anyone have a ganache recipe? I am looking to make some for the first time.

LaBoulangerie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBoulangerie Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 5:32am
post #6 of 14

I use a 2:1(chocolate to cream) ratio, weight-wise. (8 oz chocolate to 4 oz cream, etc) Bring cream to a boil(it starts to climb side of the pot, not just bubbling) over medium heat on the stove. Have chocolate chopped in a heat-proof bowl, pour cream over, let sit for one minute, then mix for about 2-3 minutes. Let sit until it reaches desired consistency.

bmoser24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bmoser24 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 6:18am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBoulangerie

I use a 2:1(chocolate to cream) ratio, weight-wise. (8 oz chocolate to 4 oz cream, etc)

Ditto, maybe a bit different on the heating of the cream for me, but otherwise the same.
If I'm using as a filling, i sometimes whip, OR drizzle while still thin enough over bc, OR just slap it on, after i brush a simple syrup over my cake.
Yes, It can stay out of the fridge.
You can leave out over night to thicken and use to crumb coat cake under fondant instead of BC,as well! Makes great corners on square cakes.
Blessings~

scorpio711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scorpio711 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 6:57am
post #8 of 14

Is that ratio 2.1 ok for white chocolate?

LaBoulangerie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBoulangerie Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 7:07am
post #9 of 14

No, use a 3:1 ratio for white chocolate. I made a macadamia cake covered in white chocolate ganache and toasted coconut for my birthday a couple weeks back, it was to die for!

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 7:32am
post #10 of 14

In my opinion, once the heated cream mixes with the chocolate it isn't cream anymore, it's chocolate, which doesn't need refrigeration but some people (like my husband) prefer it cold. I planned on making some tonight actually, wanted it to set up for a Birthday cake tomorrow evening, but just checked and half of my chocolate chips have vanished icon_confused.gif Both my DH and my son know where I keep them so it could have been either of them or a joint effort. Up early and off to the store for me tomorrow!

Redsoxbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redsoxbaker Posted 25 Jul 2010 , 7:06pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks everyone! I did end up drizzling it on top of my buttercream and it was delish !!!! icon_biggrin.gif

sbuller9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbuller9 Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:40am
post #12 of 14

What exactly is ganache?

MessMaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessMaker Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 3:58am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbuller9

What exactly is ganache?

Ganache (pronounced /ɡəˈnɑːʃ/, from the French word for "jowl")[1] is a glaze, icing, or filling for pastries made from chocolate and cream.[2] Its origins date to around 1850, when it may have been invented in Switzerland or in France.[3]
Ganache is normally made by heating heavy/double cream, then pouring it over chopped dark semi-sweet chocolate. The mixture is stirred or blended until smooth, with liqueurs or extracts added if desired.
Depending on the kind of chocolate used, what the ganache is intended for, and the temperature it will be served at, the ratio of chocolate to cream is varied to obtain the desired consistency. Typically, two parts chocolate to one part cream are used for filling cakes or truffle base, while three to one are commonly used in a glaze. Cooled ganache can be whipped to increase volume and spread to cover a cake.

In My own words: Ganache is OH SO YUMMY!! I LOVE TO JUST EAT IT UP..

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 26 Jul 2010 , 4:50pm
post #14 of 14

According to the Cake Bible, you can leave the dark chocolate ganache out at room temp. for 3 days, 2 weeks refrigerated, 6 months frozen.

My personal experience is that you can leave it overnight at room temp. but you need to stand guard over it to prevent family members with spoons from attacking it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%