Can Someone Please Tell Me What Crusting Means?

Decorating By lisamaria Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 5:51pm by lisamaria

lisamaria  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamaria Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 7

I see recipes for crusted buttercream, and I don't know what they are talking about. I am not a novice baker and have taken cake decorating classes and I have never seen this term in a recipe title. Help! P.S. Just discovered this site and I AM LOVING IT!!! Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
 catlharper  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 7

First of all, welcome to CC! Great place, I agree!

As for crusting...when you get the fat to sugar ratio right in buttercream it will make for a slightly harder covering...like a "crust" on the outside of your cake. This is wonderful for under fondant or for piping since it holds it shape perfectly. There is a great heat resistant recipe here develped by IndyDebi...amazing!

Cat

lisamaria Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:05pm
post #3 of 7

Cat, thank you for the welcome and thank you for the reply. icon_smile.gif Ok, I kinda thought that was it. But I am not a fondant user, and I prefer a creamier frosting. The Wilton recipes for buttercream do vary in consistencies, so I guess that is what you mean, right? I do piping on my cakes, so I need something firm but that also stays creamy. That is why I love this site because I've been exploring some new recipes for frosting.

TexasSugar  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 7

Most of your butter/crisco and powder sugar recipes are crusting recipes.

Cooked recipes (egg whites, sugar, butter) like your IMBC and SMBC are non crusting.

lisamaria Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you so much! I am about to make my first attempt at IMBC, cos I am anxious to try it. Is it less sweeter than the buttercream made with crisco/sugar? And can you pipe with it?

mamawrobin  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:35pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamaria

Thank you so much! I am about to make my first attempt at IMBC, cos I am anxious to try it. Is it less sweeter than the buttercream made with crisco/sugar? And can you pipe with it?

Yes it is less sweet. Yes you can pipe with it thumbs_up.gif

lisamaria Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 5:51pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks mamawrobin! I hope I like it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%