Uneven Cake Depth

Decorating By allaboutcakeuk Updated 27 Jul 2010 , 10:38pm by DebbyJG

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:24pm
post #1 of 10

can anyone help i'm starting to get panicky for some reason. I've baked 4 cakes for a wedding cake but the lemon is much thinner than the chocolate. I don't know why but maybe it is just the cake mix being different. they are all going to be stacked, lemon at bottom then choc and so on. I thought about putting the lemon on drums so they are deeper and the choc on cake cards - do you think this will work well? I just know i've got to level the top of the lemon cakes yet and worried it will not all work out. I've done stacked cakes before but they have all been one flavour and turned out fine. no ability to re=cook - the cakes themselves are fine

icon_sad.gif

9 replies
indydebi Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:47pm
post #2 of 10

I had this happen once and I just baked another layer and that tier was 3 layers of cake with 2 layers of filling, but they were all the same height.

Sometimes it just happens.

mamawrobin Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 10

I actually had this happen to me last week. I did the same thing that Indy did. thumbs_up.gif

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I had this happen once and I just baked another layer and that tier was 3 layers of cake with 2 layers of filling, but they were all the same height.

Sometimes it just happens.

thank you both. its really strange how this has happened. i think I may have to re-bake one layer for the lemons tomorrow - had planned on starting to ice them tomorrow and it takes a lot of lemon zesting! icon_sad.gif. I just keep looking at this one lemon cake its going to give me a sleepless night!

I'm thinking put them all on their boards first then level them so they are all even - best way to go you think?

thank you so much

TexasSugar Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 10:08pm
post #5 of 10

I know with cake mixes, the chocolate cake always seems to rise higher than white. It usually has a little more batter, but not too much but still always comes out taller. Maybe that is the case here?

allaboutcakeuk Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 11:48pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

I know with cake mixes, the chocolate cake always seems to rise higher than white. It usually has a little more batter, but not too much but still always comes out taller. Maybe that is the case here?

Thanks texassugar it does seem more batter in choc. Just hope it ok inside and get them all even. Crisis of confidence today for some reason. Icing tomorrow so hoping no re bake needed thanks for the responses x

allaboutcakeuk Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 9:34pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks to everyone with your helpful responses. I did extra layers and they turned out fine. I thought I would attach a picture of the final cake for my friend's wedding on Thursday. I hope it tastes good on the day! Why does it feel so much scarier when it's a friend's cake lol?!
LL

leah_s Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 9:51pm
post #8 of 10

The cake's finished?

allaboutcakeuk Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 10:06pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

The cake's finished?

Hi Leah yes it's finished why?

DebbyJG Posted 27 Jul 2010 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 10