Using Wilton Soccer Ball Cake Pan

Decorating By Ange2 Updated 23 Jul 2010 , 7:30pm by babykonst

Ange2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ange2 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:18pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all,

This is my first cake decorating experience. I will be decorating a half slab cake like a soccer field & then placing the half ball soccer cake (using wilton pan) on top. Should I use support under the soccer ball cake?

Thanks for your tips!

10 replies
chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 11

Personally, I always do- with straws under it for support. BUT- all my flat cakes are a 2inch cake with another 2 inch cake on top with BC in the middle. So, anything I put on top of that I consider a 2nd tier. Especially if its not going all the way across (the exception is my present cake, which is 3 (three) 2inch cakes all filled and stacked, no extra boards)- I fiqure anything heavy on one side might start to break down that area with out support.

Ange2 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 4:49pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks! I will try using the straws for support!

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 11

You'll also need your cake board under the ball, so the straws don't just push through. icon_smile.gif

I'd say personally experience, but I caught it in the nick of time, lol.

Ange2 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:42pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks! will do.

babykonst Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babykonst Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:55pm
post #6 of 11

hi there, ive done a few belly cakes (same concept, sheet cake with soccerball on top, and ive never had to put a support, i just ice the bottom add the ball, ice that, and then add fondant, and ive never had problems with shifting or cracking hope this helps

baby

emrldsky Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by babykonst

hi there, ive done a few belly cakes (same concept, sheet cake with soccerball on top, and ive never had to put a support, i just ice the bottom add the ball, ice that, and then add fondant, and ive never had problems with shifting or cracking hope this helps

baby

But if she's using both halves of the ball, she'll need the support. One half, as with a belly cake, you can go without. icon_smile.gif The total weight is pretty hefty.

babykonst Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 11

sorry i though she did say shes using half the soccer ball...maybe i read it wrong

emrldsky Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:22pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by babykonst

sorry i though she did say shes using half the soccer ball...maybe i read it wrong

You're absolutely right, I read it wrong! lol Then no, she probably won't need the support under if she's doing half the ball. icon_biggrin.gif

Sorry! icon_redface.gif

Ange2 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:22pm
post #10 of 11

It is only a half ball and will be placed on one side of the cake.

babykonst Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 11

hehe no worries hun!!! i had to go and read it again just to make sure lol!!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%