My Square Cakes Keep Crumbling/ Falling Apart. Please Help.

Decorating By Tisha1106 Updated 24 Jul 2010 , 11:53pm by Tisha1106

Tisha1106 Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All, I just started making cakes and decorating them.
I have made 3 square cakes so far and they have all crumbled and fell apart when I am taking the out of the pan.
Please help. icon_cry.gif
What am I doing wrong?
So far only my round cake will stay together.
And by the way, these are all box cakes. I would really appreciate your help and comments.
Thanks So Much

5 replies
Bskinne Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 6

You may be overbaking, or not letting it cool long enough in the pan....

artscallion Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 6

How are you preparing your pan?

indydebi Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 1:40pm
post #4 of 6

Does the cake texture still seem moist when it falls out of the pan, or does it seem on the dry side? I tend to lean toward the overbaking theory myself.

Did you reduc the oven temp and use baking strips, (which is my preference)? Many also use flower nails in the cake with good results. I've never used those so can't offer advice in that direction but others swear by it, so that's another option for you.

Here's a thread on the science of why baking strips work:

There is debate on how long to let them cool in the pan. I use the pan as a guide and trim the doming off of my cakes and have them flipped out onto a cooling rack in under 2 minutes. I do not let them cool in the pan. I do not want to give the fat time to solidify and adhere to the pan. I do not want the cake to continue baking in the hot metal pan (which it will do).

When I treat my pans, I grease-only-no-flour. Been doing this for 30 years and don't have cake-sticking problems, plus the cakes rise higher and have a beautiful color. Are you putting enough grease on the pan? Sometimes I find people are almost afraid to slap some grease on that pan! DOn't be afraid to use this stuff! thumbs_up.gif

dchockeyguy Posted 23 Jul 2010 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 6

To tack on to what Debbie said, I've noticed personally that sometimes I forget to really get my grease in the corners, which causes is to break apart there. Maybe that's your problem?

Tisha1106 Posted 24 Jul 2010 , 11:53pm
post #6 of 6

@Bskinne-Thanks You may be right.

@artscallion-Thanks, I use oil and flowerto coat the pan.

@indydebi-Thanks for all the tips. The cake seem to be very moist when they are done and cooled and ready to be taken from the pan. I just found abot the baking strips. I think I will try them. icon_smile.gif .
Also, Thanks for the thead and website. icon_smile.gif

@dchockeyguy-Thanks..I will now always check the corners. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%